Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Help/Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hodson, Aug 18, 2011.

1. hodson

hodson
    from oklahoma

Ok, I got a Model A Ford Coupe. Wanting to put a 350 in it without cutting the firewall and not having to move the radiator forward. Does anyone think this can be done or have any ideas? I've been racking my brain trying to get this figured out-I think Ive convinced myself it can't be done. Anyone got any ideas?

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

what year?

electric fan or mechanical?

fenders or not?

3. Post up some pics of your car, and theres a lot of model A threads that will help. Just got to read a lot.

4. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

Turn the firewall around and you won't have to cut it.

5. badshifter

badshifter

32 model A's are best left restored. They are super rare.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

shoulda just said it was a 32:rolleyes:..
    sorry cant help ya..when i say A im thinking 28,29 30-31's

I'd leave that alone , yeah not cutting it is best

7. hodson

hodson
    from oklahoma

No fenders, electric fan and its a '32

8. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Ill chime in tomorrow ,We need to know the year of body frame ect,And give measurements ,I have a 29 roadster on a 32 frame and I moved mine an inch back ,I also have a 32 truck with a 350 in it,They wont work with stock firealls,Vonn Rigg is your guy if its a 29.I can give you measurements of motors if needed.....

9. Agree with unclerichard, reversing the firewall is the best way. You may still have to make a recess for the distributor but that won't be hard to do.

10. Just re-read above posts and now I'm not sure I know what is going on. Good luck

11. I am building a '29 roadster on '32 rails w/ a sbc 350 and running an electric fan, I do not have to move the fire wall at all.

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

A SBC can be installed in a 32 Ford without cutting the firewall. It is very, very close but it can be done. Back in the 50's ... you just bought a adapter plate and bolted the SBC in. You had to use a small body points distributor, a small fan and a short SBC water pump. If your firewall is very, very nice ... then unbolt it and buy a Brookville flat firewall. :D

[​IMG]

Mine is a original Ford firewall that has been trimed, because I wanted to use a GM HEI distributor. My SBC sits back about a inch more than most. :eek:

[​IMG]

I have plenty of room ... in fact I actually have a spacer on the fan to get it in the right spot for the shroud. I have a large 6 blade mechanical fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]