Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A guru's, got a question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowburban, Mar 29, 2010.

1. lowburban

lowburban

So I was given a 29 pick-up cowl and subfloor in very good shape. ( Thanks 30roadster.) My reason for wanting it was because I had a vision of a slick little woody wagon haunting me. I am very intrigued by the idea of building it as a fun little beater truck. Will doors from any 29 ( sedan, coupe, truck.) work? I would assume that sedan stuff would be the easiest to find. Also assuming it would be fairly easy to piece the cab together from sedan stuff.Maybe an x-cab version. What would you guys do. Any pics of one done this way? Thanks.

2. the `29 Ford phone booth cab does not share doors with a sedan , but they are the same as 26-27 T coupe doors. they are hard to find in any shape. even the cowl is different than sedan

3. lowburban

lowburban

So would my best option be build it as a woody? I've seen pics on here of the phone booth ones but also of one that looks like it was built from a sedan. I'll try to find the pic.

4. lowburban

lowburban

Here's the one I like. Those look like sedan doors to me but I could easily be wrong. I could make the back of the cab.

Attached Files:

5. lowburban

lowburban

Here's what I'm starting with. What's the easiest path to the cab I showed in the above post.

Attached Files:

6. lowburban

lowburban

WOW, thought I'd get a little more help or at least opinions.

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The woodie-wagon idea is a good one. Just study their construction and use hardwood and good bracketry and you'll have something that will be maintenance intensive but a real crowd pleaser.

8. abone1930

abone1930

You can use 28-29 sedan or coupe doors, the 28-29 pickup doors are the same as model t's. The 30-31 had a different body line, I dont know if the hinges would work, but you can fix that with a welder :D
    coupe and 4 door sedan doors are the same length 2 dr doors are longer than 4 dr doors

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 28-29 CC pickup doors and the 28-29 Tudor doors are the same length, front to back, but the height is different. If you look at a passenger 28-29, the top of the windshield glass is about the same height as the top of the door glass. On the CC pickup, the top of the door glass is about 4" above the windshield glass. I think the hinges have the same spacing, or at least the lower two do.

10. 1928Fordman

1928Fordman

This cowl is a 28-29 Pickup or Station Wagon. You can tell by the tall header. Sedans have a smaller header. If you want to build a 28-29 woody you've got all of the sheet metal. The rest of the body is wood. If you want to build a Pickup yoy will need the doors and back half. Sedan doors will not work on this cowl. Hope this helps.

11. lowburban

lowburban

Thanks for all the info guys. I found a few pics of some woody's while trolling around and think I'm gonna go that way. The plan is to build a good solid inner structure out of steel and then put the wood over it. Now I just gotta research how to do the body right. Gotta be safe you know.

12. There is a pro woodie builder here on the HAMB. I do not remeber his name but you should be able to find him. Woody joinery is closer to cabinet making than it is to general carpentry.

13. Elrod

Elrod

14. lowburban

lowburban

Thanks. My father-in-law is a very talented woodworker and so I plan to use his knowledge as much as I can. Thanks for the link Elrod.

15. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

Although I don't know anything about it, I dig this woody.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Buddy built this A several years ago. Built with steel and laid wood over it. It was heavy as hell but rode good. He drove it all ofer the country.

Attached Files:

17. Elrod

Elrod

Hotrod56cars - I really like the woodies that have some curve to the body line. Makes it look a little more sleak!

18. lowburban

lowburban

Me too Elrod. The yellow one above is super nice. I think it's my favorite so far. The plan is to build it in steel as well and put the wood over to give it shape and character. I definately like em with some curves to them.

19. Find yourself a specialty wood supplier and take a look at some of the neat stuff they offer. You could really do some fun stuff with the exotics that are out there. I enjoy my carpentry and have had one of these in the back of my mind for a few years (until I got a complete 28 PU).