Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Glass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Anyone have a pattern for door glass in a 1930 Model A coupe?
    I know I could make one out of plywood, but it would save me a lot of time & fitting if I had a pattern.
    Thanks,
    Bob

2. I beleive a universal pattern wouldn't work bacause of the difference in each individual car. It would be hard getting a good fit. I wouldn't go the plywood route either. That's way more work then you would have to do. Just use cardboard, a box cutter and a good pair of scissors and you can make your templates pretty quick and easy.

3. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

I thought if I had a template it would give me a jumpstart on the cardboard & scissor thing.

4. 325w

325w
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most good glass shops have patterns. A glass guy on here has fair prices.

5. A Rodder

A Rodder

I did cardboard templates and transferred them to 1/4 mdf. Then used a bench grinder take a little of here and there. I actually installed the wood using the garnish moldings to hold on place and the window pieces actually got installed as they would if actually glass.
    I knew they would be perfect if the glass guy did his part. And he did.

6. A Rodder

A Rodder

I chopped mine though.

7. I do have patterns but it's just a simple measurement on an a coupe. I'll get it for yoy in the morning if someone doesn't beat me to it

8. Rob Paul

Rob Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its not a pattern. Its a rectangle.

Put the door edge fuzz strips in and measure the width. Put the bottom metal pc. on the regulator and measure the height. Give measurement to a glass shop and tell them to make it out of 1/4" laminated and polish the edges. Get a couple feet of butyl tape from them too to attach to the metal channel on bottom.

9. A Rodder

A Rodder

^^^ correct, I jumped right into the templates in regards to the quarter glass.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I used Chris Blattie , here on the HAMB..check the HAMB-O Dex..he's got the patterns, so you dont have to make em.