Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A gas tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '48IHC, Jan 9, 2014.

1. '48IHC

'48IHC

Hey everyone, just bought a 30 model a 2dr sedan. It's setting on a TCI frame. 350/350 combo, 9inch rear, 4 link... Typical stuff. Here's the concern I'm having.. It has 2 plastic gas tanks, one on either side of the frame right inside the running boards. Is this a typical setup ? Or some custom job? The tanks look like they are formed just for that frame.. The car is going to see A LOT of driving time.. Near daily driver. Do I need to worry about rocks and debri puncturing the tanks? Keep in mind it does not have any skid plate or splash guards of any kind..

Any info would be great thanks!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

That is an after market set up, made for fendered Model A's. I haven't used one, but I hear they are slow to fill. Safety wise, they aren't really any better or worse that other typical spots to put a tank in an A. If it concerns you, make some skid pans for them.

3. '48IHC

'48IHC

This one seems to have some care put into it judging by how the lines are ran and being all braided stainless lines as well. Thanks for the tip I'll probably end up just building a skid plate like you said. I definitely can see how they are slow filling as the necks come out right above the running boards.

Btw I love your A in your avatar. Saw it on google a few times looking for paint schemes. Sits just right

4. Sounds like the ones made by LTL. Not sure if they are still in business, but they were used on quite a few street rods a few years ago.

I don't like one's outside the frame rails, but that's better than one above your lap like the stock one.

Edit: "Tanks" also makes them but since they are not an Alliance Vendor, I won't post a link. You can Google them if you want.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

5. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I believe they were called saddle tanks, but don't know who made them.

6. '48IHC

'48IHC

Cool that's good to know. It has a stainless crossover line I'm assuming for keeping the fuel level equal in both tanks. Has an electric valve to run on one or the other as well. It definitely is an improvement over stock you got that right. Not too familiar with model a's so all the info is appreciated.

7. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

If it makes you feel any better, lots of current American made cars and pickups use poly tanks, and they are mounted in such a location that they could be damaged if you were unlucky enough to run over a foreign object and have it flip up. No matter where you place a fuel tank in a hot rod, there's gonna be some vulnerability.

8. '48IHC

'48IHC

This is very true. I work in a collision/ resto shop and a lot of the new vehicles have poly tanks. Completely forgot about that!

9. yes, both LTL and Tanks made saddle tanks like you described. hard to tell which you have , maybe you could post some pictures? i've used both and they can be a pain to fill....but i have heard that Tanks has improved on that

my `28 tudor has Tanks fuel tanks

10. Hell, cars have had poly tanks at least since the Chevy Citation and other X-cars came out. Must be great fun when one rots the tank straps out and it falls down. But that's not going to happen on a hot rod, I wouldn't think.

11. TexA

TexA

I had them in my 30 Coupe, took them out and put a TANKS Universal tank in the front end of the trunk area.
    The Twin Tanks worked OK, but the most I could get into them was a combined total of 13-gallons and YES, they are "slow to fill".

My Twin Tanks are FOR SALE if anyone is interested...

12. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

I had a A model with them years ago not sure who made them apart from being a pain (slow) to fill there were no baffles so less than 1/2 a tank fuel could slosh away from the pickup