Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A Gas Tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by klawockvet, Feb 2, 2018.

1. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sort of a cheap SOB and the price of a 32 tank seems pretty high when all is said and done. When I look under the back of my 28 roadster it seems there is a lot of space to put a rectangle tank between the rear crossmember and the back of the body. Then a simple piece of sheet metal between the fenders would smooth over the whole deal. Surely someone must have done this and I would really like to see the pictures as I'm old an lazy and just want to copy someone else's good idea. It looks to me that a larger tank could fit in there in front of the model A cross bar. Please enlighten me.

2. evintho

evintho

I stuck a Geo Metro tank behind the seat of my '27. The first pic is where it sat at original mock-up. Second pic is after I lowered it 8". I could still lower it another 6" if I wanted to. Pretty easy really, 1" square tubing is all it took.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Plenty of repro gas tanks new on ebay for numerous 1960's & 70's for not that much money, plus there use to be a range of vertical tanks of varying widths that can be fitted between wheel wells etc.
    The other option is to make one out of sheet steel or aluminum and exploit your friends who maybe able to weld it up etc.
    I've made 2 tanks and I've used one of those vertical fit between the wheel wells and I thought they were both economical ways of solving a problem.
    Made worked best for me because I got use of all the spare space and achieve a good capacity.

Attached Files:

4. Never2low

Never2low

5. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Here is where my tank is in the A. Kinda hard to see but behind seat and in front of trunk. Had a local fab guy measure the space and built it. Filler is in top deck behind driver. Works great. IMG_1177.jpg

6. drifters cc

drifters cc

Why are you not using your original 1928 tank/ location?
    If I were lazy and cheap I'd just use the stock tank.

flatford39 likes this.
  7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I wouldn't hang any fuel back there without a bumper ,I used the universal tank mentioned and it fit like a glove and dist the weight of fuel nicely. Also didn't add a neck to the outside as it held a lot of fuel and wasn't a bother.I also welded a sm [3/8] nipple to vent the fumes, looped up near the window and back down to a sm hole in the wheelwell.

8. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm wanted to keep the rumble seat, but that may change. Original tank is starting to leak and I would like to use the space inside of it. Thanks for the ideas.

9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Why not use the stock one? Works great on ours.