Register now to get rid of these ads!

model a frozen engine help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemi gasser, Jul 28, 2011.

1. hemi gasser

hemi gasser

I have a 1929 model a engine that is stuck. I have tore it down until I found what is stuck. The lifters are rusted into the bores. Does anyone have any ideas as to remove these pesky lifters? I have tryed pb blaster and am currently soaking them in atf. The cam is still in the engine because until the lifters are removed I cant get it out. Thanks for any help.

2. Mix the ATF with acetone, 50/50 and let that soak overnight, TR :D

3. If you know anyone in the resturant business, ask them for some Coke syrup, possibly thee best rust disolver known to man.

4. Also try vinegar YES vinegar the acid in it dissolves rust I have soaked parts in it & it works

5. Evaporust or sulfured molasses works for me.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

7. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

If it's frozen, just let it thaw at room temperature.

8. Maybe, who wants to know :rolleyes:

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I forgot my silly sarcastic smiley..

put it in a 55 gallon drum with diesel fuel..option 1
    soak it down with atf and acetone..option 2
    soak it down with PB blaster..option3

blow it up..more fun than all the above:D:eek:..ever see an Anvil launched..

10. dudley32

dudley32

some times a big hammer is the only thing left to do...ask me how I know...:D...:D

just try to save the block...d32

11. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

muriatic acid will melt the rust but it's nasty shit... try the vinegar idea first... can you get any heat to them?

12. Fenders

Fenders

Kroil ... squirt every day for five days

13. Mines been soaking for a few months. Dont want/need to force the issue.
    It was a great engine, and im going to try freeing it up, without stripping it down. :D

[​IMG]

14. hemi gasser

hemi gasser

C4? Hows an automatic transmission going to help my lifters? (insert smiley here)

15. hemi gasser

hemi gasser

Thanks for the ideas I'm going to start at the top and work my way down the list an see what works.

16. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

I can vouch for this. I had an old pontiac motor that the pistons were frozen in the bores. I just got a 12oz can of Coke and poured it on the piston tops. Three days later and a wooden hammer handle later & the pistons came out.

17. hemi gasser

hemi gasser

Alright great news everyone as of today the motor is free. Turns over very nicely everything is within spec and I just need to order a gasket set and reassemble. I didnt make it down the list very far as I soaked them in PB blaster for a week, ATF for about a week then tried the vinegar for a week. Just a capfull each nite on each lifter and let soak. Thanks again for all the ideas.

18. YEAH !!! Now get to work;)