Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Front Spring / Shackle Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RGG, Jul 13, 2013.

1. RGG

RGG

I am building an AV8 chassis for my 30 and during the process of reversing the front main leaf it snapped. So, I went into my stash of rusty jewels and pulled another Model A spring that I had and used the main leaf off of it. However, after replacing the bushing and sliding on the shackle I noticed that I have about a 1/4 gap and this does not look right to me. Can anyone provide some input if this is ok or do I have some odd main leaf???

Thanks.

RGG

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373743657.267171.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373743727.670629.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Definitely needs some sort of modification to be used:confused:

3. Andy

Andy

Those shackles are probably for 35 up front springs.

4. measure your spring...looks like 1 1/2 wide...front or rear??...my whippet has parallel leafs front and rear..bought stainless shackles for a little bling...if on front..id think of using dead perch...elimanates need of panhard bar...and one shackle..as perch holds spring solid in location....just thoughts...good luck..have fun!..God Bless..

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

isnt the t leaf narrower, or is that just the rear leaf.

6. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

That looks like a T spring with the hole in the leaf at the shackle. I could be wrong, but all my A springs do not have holes and my T springs do.

7. bgaro

bgaro

u say your just using the main leaf, is it the same thickness as the others? is it your shackle thats wrong or leaf? how wide is the spring?

8. 1928Fordman

1928Fordman

That's a Model T front spring. They are narrower than the Model A.

9. classic gary

classic gary

put a couple of washers in there, they'll act as a bearing surface and make the spring action better.....

10. how wide is that spring? model A's are 1-3/4"

11. RGG

RGG

Ok, you guys are great! I think someone had snuck a Model T spring sometime in the past because all of my parts came off of Model A Chassis's that I bought over the years. I went back to my stash and found another A front spring and I am going to use it. Next time I will double check!