Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A front end Q - again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by laverda, Feb 9, 2004.

1. laverda

laverda

Hello patient folk,
    I searched through the last 6 months of threads concerning the Model A front suspension options and came up with the following questions ... don't get too mad as I am flogging a near dead horse [​IMG]

-on center measurement of kingpins should be 46" if disc brakes and more modern wheels (i.e. steel) are to be used?

-48" on center seems to be OK if old juice (~'48) brakes and wheels are to be used? (I measured my '48 Merc front end (51" on center) and believe I could only run it without fenders), or am I wrong?

-what is the largest I beam drop (seems to be 4")?

-below is a pic of the Speedway front end offering (MAS is basically the same, with an option of a 46" kingpin on center measurement ... Speedway is 48", no option). According to most of the info, the tube axle setup below violates the 'twisting of a tube' hairpin/bones rule. So, is Speedway/MAS selling a dodgy design?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    papa al

SpeedWay spring over ...

[​IMG]

... in the 'kit'

For T's and early 30's street rods using '37-'48 Ford car or '49-'54 Chevy car spindles. Choose chrome, plain or stainless steel. Maximum car weight 2,500 lbs.

Kit includes:
    Two 1 3/4" spring shackles with nylon bushings
    Two spring pivots
    26" 4 leaf spring
    Two axle brackets
    Tube axle, 48" eye-to-eye, 4" or 6" drop
    Two 27" radius rods
    Four clevises with jam nuts and bolts
    Two 5/8" heims with jam nuts

2. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Im using a '46 stock axle on my 31 RPU, fenderless.It does look a little wide but I like the look.Will be using F1 brakes.certainly wouldnt fit under A fenders like this.
    the tube axle and hairpins is kinda dodgy, but the 'give ' in the hairpins(as apposed to split wishbones) supposedly makes it do-able.Id stick with an I beam if I was you.Looks heaps better too.

3. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

I have a model A and am running the 46" I beam axle. I'm using F1 brakes on 37-41 spindles. Mine is a fenderless hiboy so I got the narrower width. Thought it would look better. The difference between 46" and 48" is small but I suppose if your running fenders and already have wheels your going to use it might make a difference.

Don

4. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

if your going to run fenders use the 46 inch axle, no mater what brakes and wheels your using it keeps the tires centered in the fender, and less likly to rub going into drive ways etc. Good luck on your project.