Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A frames and heavy weight up front

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bullington, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have a conundrum, I have a Cadillac 346 Flathead that I'm going to be putting in a Model A Tudor. The big issue is that the complete engine alone weighs 899 pounds. Besides boxing the frame what have you used to beef up the suspension for extra weight up front.

-bullsac

2. Deluxe

Deluxe

Lots of leaves in your spring, for starters.

Deluxe

3. Extra cross members to stop the frame from spreading.

4. maybe bags would be the way to go. i think the standard size that most guys use on their rods are rated up to 2500 lb a peice. not my reseach just stuff ive heard from other guys talking about the subject. there was a guys acoulpe days ago trying to sell air bag front crossmember all put together and they looked realy sharp.

Attached Files:

• 0053.JPG
      0053.JPG
      File size:
      110.7 KB
      Views:

5. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I will definately have to do an extra crossmember. Even with the extra springs will the 40s spindles handle the extra weight? The air bag front crossmember looks interesting, but will be exposed in a open wheel vehicle. Could be a way to go though

6. i dont see where that big of bags wouls be needed. ive alwasy thought that the air bags useing in air ride cabs on semis would probly work best. much smaller and im sure capible of holding the wieght. look into some smaller bags and i think you could fab somthing up just like the crossmember and make it look realy good without any clustering of hoses bags and other parts. might even be the best way to clean up the front of the car and make it more apealin

7. SimonSez

SimonSez

A Model A is a lot lighter than a 41-48 Ford, so even with the flathead Cad up front the spindles will probably be under less load then in their stock application.

8. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

9. I had a 600 + lb flathead over top my front end.

Had Right WAy Spring Co 800-954-4022 (Tacoma) build my spring.

Used my stock "A" frame boxed. Superbell 4in dropped axle.

10. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

I have seen T-buckets that run Hemis often have a sturdy leaf spring set and a set of coil over shocks to compensate for the loads weight dispersment in compression and recoil. Plus they are adjustable and cheaper than airbags. The spindles should be fine also.

11. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

899 pounds, are you sure that's correct? Geez, that's about 300 lbs heavier than a SBC. That is a ton of weight at 899 sounds way too much.

12. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I'm positive. I have two flatheads out of a M5 tank and one from a 47 sedan. Complete with flywheel they come in at 899 pounds on the industrial scale. This is the reason why I asked the original question. I believe some phord flatheads weigh 700 pounds.

I have a ton of spare parts for it too. I weighed the crank and it came in at 95 pounds itself.

13. DrJ

DrJ

The other half ton of the four or five 200+ pound guys you haul around inside the sedan will balance it all out. ;)
    or don't carry all those guys and figure the engine as the same hauling capacity.?
    Unless your frame is already stress cracked or rusted out, I don't think it's going to go away soon.

Just check it for cracks periodocally and hang onto the doors when you get on it and frame-twist the latches open :)

14. i would move the motor back a bit on the chassis to distribute the weight back a little
    you would be surprised at how moving the motor back 4 inches will affect the overall weight distrabution
    tk

15. Good to know that motor weight, I wonder how much the early Hydro trans weighs? I have a '47 motor I was thinking of delivering, but I'd like to just throw it in the back of my Suburban to do it.