Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model a frame

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 48fordnut, May 16, 2017.

1. I have too many projects, but want to try to get this together. I have a stock model a frame that will get a z in the back next week.

I originally wanted to do a v/8 but when I found an original good running 55 chevy eng.I thought this would be a chance to put something together a teen ager would do in the mid to late 50s.

I have the top loader trans, f1 cross member, f1 pedals, 40 drums , backing plates, and the spindles. I also have a hurst m/m cradle for the ft. I have one of the 4 '' dropped axles like summit is selling.

Now for the work to start.1st I have to learn how to transfer pics from my note 3 to here. That's the biggest job.

Thanks for any input.

Hot Rod Grampa likes this.
  2. Is the '55 engine a six? Will you squeeze it in by lengthening the frame? Or recessing the firewall?
    Got a trans adapter?

3. It's an original 55 v/8 with the oil filter mounted on the intake. I plan to mount that on the firewall.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods

To a restorer, that engine might be worth enough to fund building the rest of the car, with another engine, if it is not messed up.

31hotrodguy and 48fordnut like this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Some one put a mild cam in it ,but I saw the car it came out of with mileage in the 60s, comp in the 120s ,o/p around 35.I have the original carb and starter.
    I have a trans adapter.

6. The frame is at the welders .He is going to make a 4'' z and weld in the upper shock mt per the B/T book,Bible. Now to get busy building the trans and putting the dropped axle together.
    I don't know how to post pics,can some one give me a link.

7. cactus1

cactus1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Below the reply box there is a button next to the "post reply" that says "upload a file." Hit that and choose a picture from wherever you keep your pictures. Then click the "post all images as full size." Then just "post reply" as normal.

kidcampbell71, Tim and 48fordnut like this.
  8. cactus1

cactus1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So whose flathead is that??

9. How easy is that. Thanks Cactus 1. Not what I wanted to post ,but just had to.

cactus1 likes this.
  10. A friends, took the pic to see how the torque tube pipes looked.

cactus1 likes this.
  11. IMG_2118.jpg IMG_2122.jpg

Hey I'm getting it. :)

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  12. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Try a '35, '36 hollow drive shaft it tapers at both ends... one driveshaft makes a pair of headers...
    they made cool [lowd] headers when limefires were just off the drawing board...

13. Not for me. I just wanted the picture so I could reference it later.Now to learn how to post pics from my note 3

14. Changing out the axle for a 4'' drop, this one has the rev eye spring.

S10_37 likes this.
  15. Take the time and box that frame. You'll be glad you did....

16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I like to set the boxing plates in about 3/8" , that leaves a lip that can be drilled from below to add whatever you need... brake lines, tranny coolant lines, wiring etc.

17. that's a good idea. I have read of that. I'm hoping to replicate what a youngster might have done in the mid 50s. That's when I was around hot rodding.

18. 97

So now you are a teenager/youngster..... with some experience? :D

48fordnut likes this.
  19. Yikes. I guess so. Dr says I'm in good shape, but body is worn out.

20. Have a update for all. I picked up a 59ab today. Missing a lot of parts, but has what I need.
    I will try to get this running before putting much money into it.Has a small ridge, and is ,.010/.010 on the crank and .040 on the pistons. Pretty clean and has a rebuilders tag on the bell housing .
    Have a bunch of questions. Will the bellhousing be ok on a reg eng stand? I have not hung a f/h on a eng stand.
    The 55 chevy eng will get finished up and sold. F/H was what I wanted all along.
    Frame not back from my friend yet.

Hot Rod Grampa likes this.
  21. cactus1

cactus1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most folks will tell you to hang a flathead from the side with the exhaust port bolts. There are adapters for this.

Other folks will tell you they have had no problems hanging from the bell.
    I have one on a stand right now hung from the side on an adapter that I made.

22. Thanks Cactus. I thought that might be the case. That bell looks awful long. I may hang it from the bell and put a support under the eng. Any junk parts you would be willing to sell?

23. horace urrey

horace urrey

Please Please support engine from sides the bolt hole strength is not there to risk possible un repairable damage take it from someone that had to spend a lot of time looking for parts due to just such a failure

24. Thanks Horace.All good answers. I may use the bell bolts with a support under the eng

25. cactus1

cactus1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have a lot of flathead stuff really. What are you looking for in particular?

26. Just simple stuff that some one that has not built a F/H would not have .I need , a bolt on timing gear, used, , screw in oil dip stick, gasket set , and a fan and mt.,s. I'm just trying to see if it will run ok. This does not have to be a perfect eng, good oil press and minimal smoke. Would also like a very mild cam and lifters.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  27. Back to working .The frame is still away from home. He is putting together a supergas roll cage.
    Boy I have dumped a ton of money on the parts the eng was missing, and still don't have all .
    Have picked up a Weiand triple intake as well as the off set gen mt,still need the 3 longer studs for it. Now have a Pertronix crab cap dist. Found a deal on the new water pumps that have ceramic seals and bearings.
    Cleaned the pan,lots of surface there. Pretty decent shape.
    Still need a oil pump and pick up ,as well as a alumn cam gear. Hopefully some one will come up with a gasket set that is lounging on a work bench.
    Talked with some one about a reground cam, and lifters. Have the adapter for the eng stand coming.

28. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

If you have the flathead on a stand with the pan off and you are changing the cam and lifters do you think it might be a good idea to ridge ream the block and put rings and bearings in it? Or at least have a good look at the ones you have.Likely might want to lap the valves and check the springs too? Not trying to be a smart ass,I have just found it a lot easier to do what you can to make sure the engine will be ok before you put it in the car.