Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A frame-stamp: what year is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Humboldt Cat, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Gotta love some after Work archealogy: sanding down my Mod A frame to bare metal, I uncovered the stamp number "A211200". What year of production would this indicate?

Attached Files:

2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Whats the last number?Theres one more.

August '29 manufacture date.

3. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

4. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Interesting chart on that site... if follows, this frame was #211,200, produced in June '28... thanks for including that!

5. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

What are the frame length differences, if any, between Model A truck, coupe and roadster? Just startin with a bare bones frame, not sure what body type it orig came with ...

6. racur96

racur96
    from tn

All the lengths are the same for pickup, coupe & roadster. Brackets and crossmember designs changed regularly thru production but nothing to affect a hot rod.

7. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

I see one more number.Looks like a 1 . There is an "A" then SEVEN numerals visible before the last star. Total number is in the millions.

8. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Huh, will drop by the shop on my lunch and take another look... kept trying to get a good shot with no 'flash' in the metal, but had to sand outside, albeit at dusk...

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Highway patrol uses an acid to read numbers.

(esp. Harley Davidson numbers: acid can detect previous numbers that were ground off previously)

I've sandblasted, hand sanded, machinist dyed, etc. Those numbers can be elusive!

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Number will end with a star like the one at the beginning. Since the end bit seems to be mostly rust pit, if you can spot a fragment of the star its location will tell you if you need to resurrect another digit there. Here is number finding tech by a really experienced restorer who KNOWS:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224974&highlight=acid&showall=1

Better take along a friend to do the actual reading, as you'll likely be blind and/or dead from acid spatter...

If you have a severely degraded final # there, original style stamps are around so you can tickle that a bit for the gestapo to read.