Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Frame Flex

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Crantucky, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Crantucky

Crantucky

Hi all, how's it going? I am starting out building my first hot rod. I started with a 1929 Model A chassis. Body will be '23-'25 Model T roadster. And this will have a stock 1940 flathead/'32 V8 transmission/A rear. That is the plan. I am new to this and I apologize for any dumb questions. But let me just start with this: how much is a stock Model A frame supposed to flex? If the question seems a little vague, please bear with me. When I pick the frame up, it's got a sort of "quiver" to it. There is some pitting throughout. No rivets seem loose. Considering that this frame is 92 years old, I would just like help determining if this flex is normal/acceptable. I have been told boxing the frame should not be necessary, but I am definitely not ruling that option out. Thanks in advance for any input!

Hillbilly Werewolf likes this.
  2. Mmm. Yes they flex.
    In order front rear. The engine: okay. Gearbox: not so good. Diff: weak.

As advice, I'll say this: using parts because you have them or because you got them so cheap are not valid reasons.

And buy this book, before you do anything ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
  3. twenty8

twenty8

If you want it to go round corners better, stiffen it up some so the suspension can do it's job properly.
    Contrary to semi-popular belief, the frame should not be considered part of the suspension...............

4. Welcome to the HAMB from Illinois.

Looking forward to seeing your project come together.

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome from Florida.

6. Crantucky

Crantucky

Thanks everyone!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. walter

walter

32 cross member and enclosed drive shaft will make everything work great! Trash the A rear. 36 rear works the best in my opinion.

8. pitman

pitman

There are moments when diagonal frame stiffeners do serve.
    Depends upon road/race/gulley(?) Driving