Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model a frame dimensions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jdcool44, Apr 10, 2020.

1. jdcool44

jdcool44

Can any one confirm that the wescott plans are wrong. The plans show all measurements to the spring hole. But all of mine are coming out to the radiator mount hole. Off by half a inch?

2. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

I plucked 2 plans off the net, one was Wescotts. Between the both, I found a median that worked out pretty close after body install. Just be sure to have your body mounted before any structural strengthening gets done.

3. jdcool44

jdcool44

Unfortunately my body is in no shape to be mounted. My frame is pretty good just changing the front cross member and those are the only measurements that dont match the plans.

4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yeah the frame side of trying to find accurate measurements is truly a black hole of uncertainty and doubt.

I've downloaded several frame measurements and none even matched themselves so I gave up. Went to bending and straightening until it was square and measured the same side to side.

I always said if I could find a perfectly good original model A I'd pull it onto my frame machine, put gauges on it and measure it out. Then throw them out there for the world to enjoy.

town sedan likes this.

5. jdcool44

jdcool44

I guess I will put the old cross member in mark the radiator pads to the frame then align the new one to those Mark's. Will that work with a 28/29 frame to a hot rod crossmember. I am putting a 30 sedan and wanna run a hood.