Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Ford Coupe Roof Filler insert ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shane85, Nov 23, 2012.

1. shane85

shane85

has anyone used the howell's model a roof filler insert? if so how did it fit? Walden speed shop also makes one but its 525.00$

2. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Take a walk through your local salvage yard. A literal ton of possibiliities await. A bit of cutting, oversized of course, will provide you with what you seek for a whole lot less. Various vans and station wagons are prime candidates for donor roofs.

Just Gary likes this.
  3. charlieb66

charlieb66

Volvo 242 works nicely. Weld carefully, skip around to avoid heat buildup.

4. kokomochandler

kokomochandler
    BANNED

a hood off a f250 superduty so you get a cool ridge down the center

5. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

I've heard 70- 72 camaro works well too.

6. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I agree with Flatheadguy, when I built my Model A I was wandering through the now gone Kittery, ME junkyard and happened on a '62 Chevy hood, or rather the top of the hood cut from the frame. The two "gunsight ribs" on it looked neat so we filled the top of my coupe with it, cost me $5 to get the panel. Once on the car, it looked great and when people asked why the two ribs, I just said "high speed stability".

7. boutlaw

boutlaw

I used a 72 Maverick roof picked at U-pullet for like $20.00. Turned around backwards and trimmed to fit. Fits like it was made for for a 31 coupe.

BOutlaw

Just Gary likes this.
  8. Bingo your best bet or 64 falcon done the same way.

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I know it's not metal but here's one I did for about $35 on my old coupe...

Attached Files:

10. shane85

shane85

any more info?

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

$20 yd of pleated vinyl stapled to 1/2" plywood with countersunk bolts under vinyl and bolted to another 1/2" piece of plywood bolted to the ridge in the original opening.. Sealed the first piece of plywood with black caulking/sealant and PRESTO, cheap top insert....

12. Even a flat panel will curve some if you cut the sides and inside bracing away, so you can use almost anything to fill that hole. It's just a matter of whether you want plain, ridges, or one that's "ribbed for her pleasure" ...

13. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

if you cant find a donor roof do yourself a favor and spend the money on Waldens filler. I've seen a Howells filler and it looked like a taco.

14. ish30ford

ish30ford
    from ca.

I did my from a 63 chevy station wagon,the ribs area.Good luck.

15. I bought the roof insert from Howells sheetmetal in texas. The problem with it is that its rolled in only one direction and needs to be rolled in two directions. I cut the roof off of a late model ford extended cab pickup and it laid down perfect.

16. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I got a roof of this model Mustang, cost about $200 including the cutting off by the junkyard guy.

I got it home and used a plasma to cut out the center sheetmetal and it fits a treat, just like the guys on here said it would...

Sure beats paying store prices and if found locally no shipping and potential damage can be incurred.

[​IMG]

17. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

18. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

First one I did I used a '67 Mustang roof turned around. Fit like Ford used the model a roof shape to make the mustang roof! Truly amazing how it fit!

For the second one, a few years later, I could not find a scrap Mustang anywhere.

I used the Waldens and was amazed at how it fit my top like it was made for only my car! Waldens top fit with very little triming and the steel was eaiser to weld. A real high quality piece!

I guess buy the time you add up all your chaising around time, cuttin it out of time gettin it home time, striping it time and possible some excess metal trimming just to get it down to test fit size. I feel a guy would be money ahead with the Walden piece shipped to your door. Plus the nice metal he uses makes it an easy choice!

19. Nocero

Nocero

I used the Howells insert and hated it so bad I cut it back out. Take a look at my build thread it is just too flat. I would recommend going to the junkyard and finding a donor with a profile you like.

20. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

A hot rodder walks the wrecking yard and finds one ....... A 1 800 guy looks in SRM and or clicks his mouse

21. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Go buy yourself a cheap English wheel and a sheet of 16ga aluminum for a removable insert or 18ga steel for a weld in. I rolled one for a sedan with -0- experience using one. if I can anyone can. it's not black magic!

22. chiro

chiro

Okay, so some great ideas on coupe fillers. What about Tudor fillers? I'm doing a Tudor and need some ideas. Sorry to hijack the thread but it seems his questioned was pretty well answered

Andy

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. Spend the money on a Walden. You will save in the long run and it will be right.

24. Crackett

Crackett

I know of a Tudor with a 58 Chevy roof skin

Wanted: 28-29 Model a Roadster Quarter Panels

25. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I used a Walden insert on a coupe I did last summer. Absolutely top quality piece. I did a build thread that shows how I installed it after a new wood kit was installed in the body.
    Here's a link.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738350

I didn't choose the insert, by the why...the owner of the coupe did. I'm big on making stuff myself and I agree completely with those that suggest finding a crowned piece from a roof or hood and making it work yourself...

26. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For my 1931 Vicky I took the roof from a Ford Aerostar

27. oneowner

oneowner

I used a '91 ford taurus on a '31 coupe...fit perfect.

A '96 lincoln town car works amasingly well on a '31 Vicky!

The town car works well on a 2D Sedan but you have to mess around with the front a little

28. banginona40

banginona40

Ditto on that!!

29. dsiddons

dsiddons
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Late 70's Mustang roof fits perfect. About any small car from the late 70's to early 80's will work fine. Make a nice pattern and then go shopping. Them inserts that you buy never fit. If you want ribs, look fit a 80's wagon.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Just Gary likes this.
  30. kool32

kool32
    from Kentucky

53 Mercury roof reversed worked on mine, look at 50's cars........