Register now to get rid of these ads!

model A firewall question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnny bondo, Jun 1, 2011.

1. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

so i was looking up info on my old 30 cabriolet. and i noticed that the firewalls on the briggs bodys had a tag under the data plate with the vin number. but then some of them didnt. so i looked at other firewalls from 1930 models and some did and some didnt..... have this ID number/vin tag on it. was this only a briggs body thing or???????? im confused. i went out and looked at my roomates firewall and his 30 has the holes for both also, but it bolts into his coupe(ster).... im lost. did ford do it also? school me please.

2. I think that number you're talking about is a body number assigned by the body builder Briggs, not the serial number of the car. Don't go by that number, go by the number on the frame. If the number on the frame is the same as the number on the firewall tag, I'll stand corrected, but I'm fairly certain it won't be the same number.

3. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

[​IMG]

did ford have those too or was that ONLY on briggs bodies?

heres one without. you can see the regular pat. tag.
    [​IMG]

and heres one with.(2 tags, but it is illegible)

[​IMG]

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Briggs supplied bodies to Ford, so did Murray and others. The body number has nothing to do with the VIN number on the chassis. Asking this question over on The Ford Barn would get you more historical info. BUT PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't mention you have or can spell Hot Rod.:eek::D

5. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

yeah i dont want to press my luck lol someone here will know if it was only done by contracted companys only.

heres another with and without.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

so this was done ONLY for briggs and murray bodies correct? ford never did it? so if i see the tags on a ford made all steel body its not the original firewall? am i correct in this now?

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll post the question on the BARN, and you're covered!:D

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Done, now you know my ID over there.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Ford made bodies do not have tags except for the Patent Data Plate.
    Only the Briggs and Murray bodies have Body Number Plates.

10. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

also i noticed the bolts on the coupe firewall are murray only according to this site: http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/murraybriggs.htm

but murray never made a coupe according to this site....

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/f/ford/ford.htm

and looking at pictures im beginning to think my old 30 cabriolet is a 29 because of the position of the lights on the firewall being lower and bigger. which was only made by briggs.(but im missing the firewall because it was a racecar...)

11. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

thanks man! ill go check it out.

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

29 cabriolets and Fordors and Town Sedans have a 3 piece firewall.
    The cowl is also different from the other bodies since it resembles a 30-31 cowl with smooth side and no tapered lines at door post. Under the top surface of the cowl is a stock gas tank just like all other bodies. Between the tank top and the top skin is an anti-squeak pad which often caused the top of the tank to rust out around the filler neck.
    These are all wood-structured bodies.

13. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

not there NOMO' my friend...... lol it went the way of the buffalo about the time it went on a homemade racing frame.

[​IMG]

14. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

[​IMG]
    My RHD firewall from Zimbabwe has rusted-up holes in that area, only for one tag. I have no idea what kind of body it's from.

15. deucegarage

deucegarage

That is my Ford Garage site you are referencing. I don't discuss bolts on that page.
    Maybe you are thinking of the D nuts?
    Murray often used the cage style D nuts, but not necessarily always.

Murray did not make any 30-31 five window coupes as far as I know, but Briggs definitely did, and they had firewall tags.
    Those coupe tags have a prefix of 166- or 198-
    Briggs also made some Sport Coupes in 30-31.
    Ford made the majority of them.

If you are certain that the firewall came from a coupe, then it was a Briggs body.

Your cabriolet is the remains of a 1930 68B, not a 1929. Body by Briggs also.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ned, Thank you for posting your firewall photo. I've always wondered if the RHD cars had both steering column locations cut out, now I know they didn't. Bob

17. Fenders

Fenders

The tags are reproduced. If you see a tag it may have been added by the owner (to show a serial number, which cannot be seen on the frame under the cowl or on the engine which may have been replaced).

18. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

yeah i was talking about the D nuts! sorry typo.

i did ask him about the firewall and he said he bought it later because someone cut the firewall up on his, so now it makes sense.

1930 68B, thats what i thought it was at first. but the cowl light position was messing me up from the pictures i tried to compare. thanks man!

19. VSO737

VSO737

Hi,

You say you have a '30 CABRIOLET............can you please send me pictures of your ride or post them. My email is: [email protected]

I want to compare them to my Sport Coupe to see what the differences are.

Thanks,
    Mike

20. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

sport coupes have solid window framed doors. cabriolets have fold down window frames(except the front pillar), the inner structure is also all wood instead of metal. sold the car off to a friend.