Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A, driver's side, rear wheel locked up!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugsy, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I finally got my A running (stock rearend) after a ton of different issues and I'm dying to take it for it's first spin around the block. Tonight, I finally get the chance so, I fire it off, put it in first and go to pull forward and the driver's side, rear wheel will only go ahead and back about 3 inches!!!!! It's like it hits a stop or something and locks up. The passenger side rear wheel turns fine and was trying to push the car forward but the left side rear was stopping it!!!! I'm confused as heck because this thing has NEVER done that!! It's always rolled around just fine. Now, when you put it in neutral, the right side is free (like it should be) but the left side will only roll ahead and back a little ways!! The brake drum is NOT locked up. It's acting like the wheel does when you have it on jacks and the car in gear and you try to spin the wheel. It will spin some but then hits a stop as if it's in gear. I'm 100% baffled as I haven't done squat to the rearend, tranny and this thing used to roll around with ease!! I did change the 19 inch wheels out for 16 inch wires but I've rolled it around on them before so I'm really stumbed by what's going on.

This kind of crap is classic for me. I can just look at something and it will get dicked up!!!!

Any ideas????

2. F&J

F&J

Me, I would put the floor jack under the centersection, then try to hand turn the left wheel.

3. jetmek

jetmek

stock brakes ??? sounds exactly like what happens when the emergency brake band is hanging up....

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

well if all you want to do is take it for a spin just put the wheel on a skateboard.

are they stock mechanicals? you may just need to take off the drum/hub to see what that does.

5. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

Do as mentioned, jack it up. Put good jack stands under the axle and chalk the front wheels.

Try and turn one of the rear wheels. If the other spins the opposite direction fine, your rear axle should be okay.

Now, secure one rear wheel and turn the other by hand, repeat the other side. If you encounter problems here, there might be a problem in your transmission. Being as the transmission only will send power to one rear wheel due to there being a differential.

But being as you said that the one side locked up and the other side tried to push it more than likely it's with your rear axle.

6. F&J

F&J

yes, could be, as those are full circle "shoe" or "band" that might act like a self energizing brake, if it's dragging a bit, or is wet with oil.

7. Fenders

Fenders

Henry can offer help, call 1-800-555-0155.
    Ask for Mr. Ford.

8. Or a piece of the old shoe has broken off behind the rivets and jammed inbetween the remaining shoe and the drum.

9. Hey Jason, sounds like a brake issue.

10. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Well...you guys were 100% correct. The e-brake was bound up and that was it!! I appreciate all the advise. Sometimes I tend to WAY over think issues. It is rare though that I ever get this lucky either!!

The "Dust Bowl Special" LIVES!! Took her on her maiden voyage down that alley this morning! Thanks again!
    [​IMG]

11. I've been in that alley with ya. No room for racing, ya know at trip to Parsons would just about break her in.:eek: Best pack extra food supplies though.

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Bitchin car. How was the drive then?

13. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Chris...I'd love to come down! That would be a trip though in the T/A!

Shooter, Thank you!! it actually drove pretty well (for what it is). I've got the motor dialed in decent so I'm going to start adding the "speed" parts now. I've got a thing for pre-war, roadsters and speed equipment. I finally got off my ass and started putting all these parts together. It's nothing special, just a T body on a basically, stock chassis. I still have a lot to do to it but took a big step today.

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

^
    Nice! I like where you're going with it. I'm in the same boat,gonna start plopping bolt on speed stuff onto my banger. I have so much fun driving it as it is though that I never feel like tearing it down! Ha.

Post pics as you go, I'd be interested to check out the progress.

15. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Shooter....I'll do that. I always forget to take pictures of anything that I do with my projects. I'm doing good enough just to put some time together to go out and work on them! Plus, the work that I do isn't all that exciting and ususlly is pretty basic stuff.

16. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

That is going to be a real fun car

17. I like your car.

18. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

BCCHOPIT...Thank you! I'm going to get a hold of you about a header. I have a couple of ideas that I'd like to run by you. You do great work and I'd like to have you fab a header up for this thing eventually.

Hitchhiker...Thank you too! I follow your build and I LOVE what you're doing with your coupe!!!