Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A drive train: Toss it or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeepSouthRick, Mar 12, 2007.

1. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Outside of a restoration, is there really any use for a Model A rear axle?

Here's what I'm looking at: I have a leftover 4-banger, tranny, rear axle, and frame. The setup's not worth much more than scrap iron, I can't find anyone who wants it, so I'm about ready to just toss it all, to make room for my other projects.

I'm trying to think of a good reason for holding onto it, since the money I'd get trying to sell it is hardly worth the hassle. I thought of eventually building a traditional lakes roadster. Always wanted to do that -- love the way those banjo rears look with the fuel tank on top.

I've always heard that those rear axles were *just* adaquate enough for the stock 4-bangers. I pulled the hubs on this one, and sure enough, the axle key had chewed out a chunk of the axle -- this from its use with the stock motor. So even with a mild 4-banger hop-up, the genny axle will need upgrades. But all the banjo upgrades I've seen involve later axles.

I know most banjo axle build-ups use the later rear axles, for obvious reasons. Is the A axle really just a boat anchor?

2. tjm73

tjm73

There's probably a dozen guys here that would love to have it, myself included. Don't just toss it away.

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

It would bring a grand or more on Ebay.

Rich

4. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

i say keep it or find your local packrat and give it to them
    take it to a swap meet check the model a boards make a grinder stand and a sand bag stand put a clock in the center section dont just chuck it
    if the guy who saved that a was thinking the way you do you probably wouldnt have the parts to get rid of in the first place

5. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

yeah- shoot, we got a junky old drivetrain left from a sedan, but will actually seek out another frame to throw it all together into a flivver. SOMEBODY could find a use for it- you got Criagslist in your region?
    It's worth more than scrap, I can guarantee that......

6. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person, then, who sees the value in this vintage steel.

I tried Craig's list (Atlanta area). Half a dozen no shows, at least. I'm tired of fooling around with people who want to just look. Had one guy who was honestly serious about it, but in the end he said it really wasn't what he was looking for.

I really need it out of the way, mainly because I know myself and will start working on it instead of focusing on the projects at hand. I think I'll give the evil-Bay route a try. Start the bidding at $5 or something ridiculous like that.

7. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Put It Up On Fordbarn.com Also, List It On The Bay & Anywhere Else You Can Think Of And Give It Away If Ya Have To.

Its A Funny Thing, I Look On This Board And Talk To Guys All The Time And Listen To Them Bitch & Complain About How There Are No Parts Left.

And You Wanna Throw All This Stuff Away....

I Just Was Given An Old "a" Engine & Trans.... Put It On Ford Barn And Got $125.00 For It ...... Did It Twice In The Past Couple Months.. Each One Free ... Eachone $125.00

I Know $125.00 And A Ton Of $$$, But It Sure Helps When You Need Stuff From The Autoparts Store While Building Yer Rod !

8. Tin Can

Tin Can

Let us know what you get out of it if you sell it. I am gonna keep the frame and the front axle from mine but i still have everything else that i plan on getting rid of..

9. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Be patient, it took awhile but I got $1200 out of almost the same package. Guys on here wouldn't pay $500 for it. I had it on Craigs list with no results, put it back on for MORE a couple months later and it sold. Go figure.

10. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

If you still have the engine; do a "rubbing" - or a good clear photograph - of the SERIAL NUMBER. (side of block just below the upper water outlet)

The serial numbers are now bringing big $$$'s from those that don't have one.

11. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

That's just it -- I don't want to throw it away. I was just beginning to think I was crazy because I was the only who seemed to think it was worth keeping.

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Run that stuff on eBay and it will go away. We had to scrap 1400 lbs of old Ford front ends and axles and springs and rearends a few years ago...no one would come to get them for free. Now the same guys are whining about why we did that. You can't satisfy cheapskates, they passed on the parts FOR FREE!

13. chopped

chopped

Want me to come get it out of your yard for ya, won"t cost you a dime.

14. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Thanks for all the input. As much as I hate fooling around with eBay, I'll just put it on there and see what happens. I could use some extra cash for some front suspension parts.

15. Rick - I sold my modal A running gear for 2500 - there is an old guy in Gainsevill that only deals in model A - he goes to charlotte - I'll try and find his card, but I haven't seen it in a while. I know I'll be able to find him in Charlotte - he has spots in the red field.

That s also good stuff for a modified.

16. 6inarow

6inarow

Hey, you just had an offer from Greenville GA to take it off your hands. Dont get greedy - dump it

17. farna

farna

There was a story in the local paper about a guy trying to give a working fridge away. He stuck it on the curb with a "FREE" sign on it for a week, and no one picked it up. He carted back in the garage. A month later he stuck it back on the curb with a sign that said "for sale - $50". He left it out overnight, and it was gone the next day!

If it's free it must be junk, but if you want money for it...

So yeah, price it at junk prices just to get rid of it, and you have few lookers (especially without pics!) because they assume it's junk. Ask a reasonable price and tack on "or make an offer" and you'll get more responses. Yes, you have to deal with lookers, but if you don't have a lot of interest (even lookers), you're not catching the interst of buyers either.

This is what makes e-bay good for something that you don't care much what it sells for. If you start the bid real low, put a reserve on it. Otherwise start it low but reasonable -- not $5 junk price, but maybe $100. It's worth that much as scrap iron (if you haul it to the scrap dealer, he'll probably come get it for free). Then post at least one good pic of the whole thing. Put in the description that it's got to go to make room for other projects, at least people will know why the low starting price. It will cost you $1 to list it, so it will be worth it. You're near Atlanta, not out in the boonies, so it should sell.

18. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Just so you know, the hubs wear out on the axles because they are run loose, not because of the power output of the 4 banger. Model A rearends can actually be run with built bangers and even mild flatheads and SBC's if you take it easy.