Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A Draglink To Hoop Steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by novaskilling, Aug 2, 2021.

1. novaskilling

novaskilling

I have a steering hoop for my round back spindles. Id like to reuse my Model A drag link and attach it from my F1 box to the hoop steering. Where can I get a correct ball stud to tie rod end that will allow me to do this?

2. Any of the early parts vendors should have them. This is the weld in one from Macs

[​IMG]

-Brent- likes this.
  3. The model A draglink is not long enough to connect to the aftermarket hoop steering arm. It can be done. But the steering box won't be in the neutral position.

4. novaskilling

novaskilling

Would you use the f1 drag link then?

5. alchemy

alchemy

Buy a '32 Ford ball, it will have a tapered end, with threads for a nut.

None of the original drag links will be the proper length. If you go using non-stock arms, or dropped axles, or lowered springs, you will need to be able to adjust the length of the link. Use a tie rod with adjustable ends and make a new center bar. (Good luck with those threads though)

6. Here is the 32

[​IMG]

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Threads are done with a tap that is termed "Popular special": 11/16" X 18 threads per inch.
    Mac's may have this tool, Speedway does for sure.

adam401 and -Brent- like this.
  8. -Brent-

-Brent-

Well hell, where has this critical info been??? Haha. I was about to heat and move my pitman arm forward a smidge to get my steering wheel centered.

SEAAIRE354 likes this.
  9. adam401

adam401

Thats good information there. Thankyou.