Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A door skin alignment?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hobbyjp, Nov 19, 2011.

1. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

So I'm repairing the sheetmetal on my 5 window coupe. The passenger side door is pretty beat up, before I go find a new door I want to try fixing the door. The first problem is that I think the door skin is not attached to the door properly. The drivers side door belt line matchs up perfectly but the area just above the door hinge measures 1/4, on the passenger door the area in question measures 1/8. Is there a way to cut the door skin and raise it? I dont think its a problem with the hinges because the door aligns pretty decent and shuts fine. There is also a large dent near the door handle, what would be the best way to fix this? I'm thinking about cutting this section out and hammer forming it then welding it back on. Someone before me already had a fun time using a dent puller on it! any help with these two issues would be great thanks everyone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

"If" the shotgun door has good alignment all around, except where the body/swageline meets the cowl you may well have to cut a pie section out & reweld to obtain correct alignment. Before I'd go that route, I'd try some body shims @ the body mount area @ the cowl. Slacken the body mount bolt @ the cowl, place a wooden block under the cowl, and lift with a floor jack. Study the movement, & if the door and cowl align to your eye, add shims & tighten up the bolt. You may have to slacken the door hinge bolts, & adjust the door to alignment, as well. A replacement door would probably have alignment issues as well!

The repair of the damage to the door skin is fairly straightforward, dolly up the low areas, or use a spoon or punch to raise them. For those areas behind inner panels, you could use a slide hammer, pull rods or a weld-type stud gun to pull them out. Always weld up any holes you drill in a panel prior to any filling.

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

3. F&J

F&J

I would never cut that skin to move it to align the belts. You'd be trying to correct an error with another error.

One pic, it looks like the car is in process of getting a chop? If so, fix the lower half of the car first, because it will cause more issues later.

Small pic, but if it's not just shadows, it looks like the entire lower door skin was "belly bumped" inwards. I am seeing distinct vertical crease lines 1/2" in from the front and rear edges of the door. Creases like that are caused by the center getting pushed in, and the crease comes from the skin hitting the 90 degree bend of the inner door.

4. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

The door is beat up to say the least. The door and body has been shimmed and the door opens and closes fine. The car had a bad chop that was barely welded on and no where near striaght, so I cut it off to get the bottom of the car sqaure before I weld it back on. Like I said it looks like the door skin was attached to the door wrong or maybe put on the door to match a different cowl. look at the area just above the second hinge that small area just before the bead measure 1/8 maybe a little less. on the driverside door all bead lines match up but the area above the second hinge measure a little over 1/4. I also noticed that the slot cut for the hinge has no space at the top. The hinges dont apear to be bent. I have starred at this door for hours making sure nothing else is causing the bead to be out of wack as far as I can tell the actual door skin is off. I cant find any other reason why it would be out of alignment. Now dont get me wrong there is some decent damage to the door but none of it looks like it caused the bead to move. I already cut out the top section near the hinge were someone used a dent puller and repaired that. I just want to know if anyone else has encountered anything like this and I want to check my bases before I hack up this door. The pie cut was one option I was considering but after thinking it through and looking at the gaps I think I want to remove the whole skin and realign it.