Register now to get rid of these ads!

^%#$^& model a dilemma...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skajaquada, May 13, 2008.

1. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

so for the last four years i've been dreaming of building a hot rod out of the '41 diamond t cab that i have. i got my cadillac flathead, another dream, to go in the front of it (though i'll be running a 461 olds until that's finished.) i got a '28 buick frame that some of you have seen the pics of to go under it. i've spent the last few weeks gathering ideas and funds to do it and even took pictures and got them to scale and mocked up on paper what things could look like. unfortunately, i'm not sure i can get the feel i've been dreaming of with the 60" wide cab on the 30" frame. there's no taper to the sides like on a model a or deuce so it would have a huge overhang. on top of that, the thing is also 60" long and going from the rad support to the back of the bellhousing and firewall to back of the cab puts me right at the rear kick-up in the frame. also even with a section and chop, it just doesn't have a nice flow. it's just too tall. been wondering what other options i have the last few days since discovering this all. then i found the model a...

it's a '29 tudor sedan. frame comes with it too...though it would fit nicely on the buick, which is what i'll do if i decide to get it. i've been wanting to make something out of the diamond t because that's what i've got but now that it's coming down to putting things together, i've realized a LOT of things. i can get this model a and frame for $1200. the rockers are perfect, it sat on its top and that's not too bad to fix compared to the bottom.

i just don't know for sure what to do. even though i love doing something different, you can't argue with the looks of a model a. plus putting it on the buick frame will be something different and with its 30" width, it will fit very nicely. if i do this, i doubt anything will happen with the diamond t because giving it the look and feel that i have in my mind will just take too much work even if it is in fact possible. that means it would likely be scrapped :( i fucking HATE the thought of doing that to something old like that but i can't leave it where it is forever and i already have enough stuff sitting around my back yard for the frame and such. also doubt that i could find someone who wants it...

what would you guys do in my position? you can tell i'm leaning towards the model a, but i want other input either way along with any other thoughts and ideas that can come with it. lemme have it guys, i need to make a decision quick. :confused::(:mad:

2. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

In the end for the same effort, the model a will be worth more.Something to think about.

3. dv8

dv8

I'd build the A sedan....It will look right when you are done, and for a lot less time and money invested. Like you said....I think to get the proportions right on the Diamond T, it would take a ton of work...and STILL not look right.

Maybe you could trade the cab off for parts for the sedan? It might still end up something other than scrap.

4. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

You'll be more apt to work on something you actually like and I bet you could sell the diamond t in about ten seconds if you priced it at scrap price...

5. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Build your own custom frame for the Diamond T. That way you could lay it out any way you wanted it, and in the end, it'll look the way you want it.

6. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

gozt...not that easy at this point. it's not so much the frame as the body proportions that i'm having a hard time fitting in my vision. even if i built a frame for it, it is still just a cab and a frame and will be a pain to find/fabricate everything for it. it's a moot point now anyway...

I'M GETTING THE MODEL A!!!

i have realized that i was losing steam on the current state of things because the diamond t wasn't fitting into my vision. i wanna build a hot rod dammit, not a motherfucking rat rod...truck looked too rat rod. making this decision has gotten me even more charged up for this project than i was originally. i guess i always had a little doubt in the back of my mind about the truck and now that it's settled, i feel free.

plus with my goal of having my own hot rod shop, this will be a better measure of my skills and ideas for an example. anyone can take a different body and make a different hot rod. now i've got the same canvas as half a million other guys and building an eye catching, respectable hot rod out of it will get more attention and make a bigger impact anyhow.

anyone ever seen a '29 tudor on a '28 buick frame...you will soon :D

7. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

If more guys would relize what you have while building these Rat Truck~Bobber~Rudy Trucks.... The world would be a better place !

I feel ya though... Those Diamond Ts are cool trucks, They just need to STAY trucks.

As for your Big Buick frame, if done right it will look fine.... I used a '26 Chrysler frame under my Sports Coupe, Ends up working out real nice when you drop a big heavy engine in front of the A body.

8. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

it was going to stay a truck, just be made into a smaller one :p

the frame is going to work very nicely though. the wheelbase on the A is ~104 and the one on the buick is 114. the olds AND caddy are bout around 6" longer than the original engine bay. that'll take up most of the diff and since i'm not going to channel it, that will give it a good flow to make up for the rest of it :D