Register now to get rid of these ads!

model a cowl

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 303racer, Nov 1, 2010.

1. 303racer

303racer

question if you dont want to use the stock tank ,
    when you cut the bottom out of the tank, what are some ideas for mounting your steering column ? what do most people do make a hoop roll bar ? under the tank or ?
    I have never seen pics that anyone has posted of this, So any pic's or idea's ?

2. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

When I did mine I used a '32 style dash, then used a column drop fastened to the lower part of the dash panel.

3. hvychvy

hvychvy

I welded a piece of 3/4" square tubing from side to side,and mounted my column drop to that.It also worked good to secure my wiring harness running to guages etc.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  4. David Chandler

David Chandler

I cut the upper rail from another cowl, trimmed the bulk of the slotted section off and welded it in upside down, and also added a flat section on the bottom facing the firewall. So my dash will be flat and curve upwards at the ends somewhat.

5. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Similar to unclerichard I had a 1" square tubing bent to match the curve of a '32 dash and they tack welded it to the dash. Then I built a column drop that bolted to the tube using nutserts.

6. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

The tank gives the cowl a lot of strength. I run a square tube across and down both sides. No cowl shake.

7. What are you going to do for a dash?I run a 36 dash and picked up 2 original bolt holes from the tank to cowl mounts on either side and bolted in a 3/4x3/4 rhs from side to side.
    Mounted the column off this.Also mounted the fuse panel and electrics on the other side as hvychy did.

8. 1" square tubing side to side behind a Deuce style dash , then a column drop from the tubing to the column

9. Fenders

Fenders

I cut much of the bottom out of the tank on my '30 -- but why cut it all out? See the photo.....

By the way, the lower steering tube mount attached to the firewall is a late '31 Model A column drop.

Attached Files:

10. metal man

metal man

This is a pic of a late 31 column drop(they attached to the top lip of the tank instead of the bottom) next to another one that I modified to fit a 28-29 tank.Ford made this change in 31 due to fuel leak problems .

Attached Files:

11. Vergil

Vergil

As the others has mentioned, tubing bent to shape of lower dash and '32 style dash over it.

Vergil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. hvychvy

hvychvy

Damn,there's a lot goin on under there:D