Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A Coupe suicide doors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead okie, Nov 4, 2012.

1. flathead okie

flathead okie

I have seen 2 different NICE Model A coupes at car shows in the past that had suicide doors.
    It looks as if all they did was change the left door to the right and the right to the left.
    I know it isn't all that simple. Does anyone know what all is involved?

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

No idea, but I know of one shop that makes a phantom, chopped, glass, 3W Model A coupe that way. It doesn't look that bad, either. Gary

3. yblock292

yblock292

oh yeah, when i built my coupe, i chopped it 6 inchs and thought the same thing, left door on right side, hardest part of the build. The fit of the doors, the top of them is way off. The hard part was to fit the angle of the doors to the top and keep the window channels straight.I also wanted to flush fit the front of the doors so had to bulid new forward door jams. But it does make getting in and out a lot easier! Only thing i would do different is keep all three hinges, i eliminated the top hinge doing this and would recommend keeping all three hinges.

4. flathead okie

flathead okie

Thanks guys ...:...any more

5. fryguy

fryguy

Gary, any idea on that shop that makes the 3 window model A glass body? I have been kicking around the idea of taking a model A coupe and turning it into a 3 window. I'd like to see pics of anybody who has done that?

Fryguy

6. Don't know the owner or how he did it, but I agree; it's pretty damned cool!

From the Rust Revival 2011

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. modified

modified

This car used to be in Mesa, Arizona. I looked at it when it was for sale on Ebay.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

There is a full fender 3w by these guys down here in Florida I've seen a few times, looks good. I assume they are still in businessm, Gary

http://aaltered.com/

9. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I did this to my '30 A about 20 years ago. I built hidden hinges for it. I kept the stock latches and door handles. I also built a lock pin that went from the door into the jamb.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. I guess I can understand wanting suicide doors but why leave the original Model A door latches,,they are such poorly designed and will pop open at the most unexpected times,,,and when suicide that is asking for it,,hey the lock pin would make it safer. HRP

11. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I was 18 years old at the time. I was rebuilding the car that I bought locally and was trying to make it more my own. I would never suicide doors again. That being I don't remember the stock latches popping loose. I built the jamb lock pins from gm electric door actuators.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. redroaddog

redroaddog

going to do this on my 34 pickup looking at f100 hinges switching them side for side i think there is a hinge kit being offered maybe speedway to do this. the f100 lifts the door out as it opens away from the body:cool: