Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects model A coupe build from Down under New Zealand

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by whitewallwilly, Jun 23, 2014.

1. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Can I see some pics of the wipers from the outside? I have run wires
    to thay area, but need to choose wiper.

Rich[/QUOTE]

Hi there Rich,
    here is pics of the Wiper set up,I hope this helps,,,,,,its a Newport Engineering deal,,it works a treat,was east to install,the only problem I could foresee was trying to make a cover over the unit so as to hide it,,,, I decided to not cover it over but leave it as it was ,,,hanging there ,,,I tidied up around it with a couple of panels painted black,and the rear view mirror,,,, lam pretty happy with how it came out IMG_7708.jpg

I will put a bead of sealer type goo in the wood were I've run the wiring ,and paint it to match the wood color
    IMG_7707.jpg

IMG_7705.jpg IMG_7704.jpg IMG_7709.jpg

catdad49, nunattax, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  2. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Hi Rich ,I've posted a reply one post up,I'm not sure what I've done but it looks like my reply hasn't attached to your question
    Hope the pics help
    Cheers

3. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Well I wasn't happy with the trunk hinge deal,it was the original ,,with bolts coming in from each side very hard to get to,,,,couldn't get a spanner on the bolts heads,and the holes in the trunk lid were quite sloppy,,,

,I'd seen a few Model A coupes with external hinges mounted outside on the top of the trunk lid,
    I looked at 37 Ford Tudor trunk hinges,these had quite a big offset because of the curve of the top of the trunk,
    I started to look at other types of cars , early VW, Morris Minor etc etc,
    Then I hit the jackpot,, Austin Mini car trunk hinges,not a very big offset,quite small in size so as not to be intrusive to the look I was after,
    And best of all only $45 pair chromed !!!!!

So l started off by putting the hinges in line with the outside of the rear window,marked the holes in the trunk lid,bored a access hole for the rear bolt

IMG_7865.jpg IMG_7864.jpg

Used the left hinge on the right,,and visa versa
    IMG_7863.jpg

Trimmed the edge of the inside trunk edge to clear the top body flange,an drilled the front hinge /trunk holes,I fitted a stew in the front heard because of me minimal clearance when the trunk is lifted IMG_7874.jpg

Then drilled the body holes,,, these lined up perfectly on the inside giving ample room to get nuts and spring washers IMG_7869.jpg

IMG_7876.jpg I didn't have to alter the hinges at all,,,
    So tomorrow I will make some rubber gaskets to go under the hinges were they bolt through the trunk and the body,
    Another job ticked off the list,

Weekend jobs will include,,,
    Making a driveshaft safety loop
    Finishing off the gearbox/floor cover
    And having a go at the rear spring to soften the ride

Attached Files:

4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I had a couple '35-'36 trunk back hinges... tough to start the nuts as they are so close to the gutter flange.
    i cut [2] 2" chunks of 1/2" conduit... to protect from welding splatter duct tape and then set the hinges upside down on the bench, center the 2 conduit spacers over the mounting holes, tack a small strap to attach the 2 together... install the hinges on the body and slide flat and lock washers onto the bolt... now starting the bolts will happen below the flange much easier...
    I also build a boxed channel into the decklid's inner skin, same level as the area where you mounted the leading bolt / screw... this gives the hinge 2 layers of steel to support the weight of the decklid... less apt to crimp the skin...
    . DSCN0681.JPG
    most later model hinges are cast deeper on the outer edges as the newer cars were rounded and on a flatter decklid the hinges will bind... mark how much to take with a sharpie and use a sanding disc to remove what must go... I made final passes with a cut off disc... be careful it digs in quick...
    pix on frozen computer... my $0.02.
    built another pair 12/27/19... pix.
    t hinge spacers 1.JPG t hinge 3.JPG

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  5. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Hi Sloppy
    Thanks for that info,those hinges look good
    the Mini car hinges didn't need any grinding or sanding,they sat flat on both the trunk lid an the rear body panel,,,,although slightly offset they still never bound as they went through the arc as the trunk lid opened
    Cheers

6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

SEAT =AWESOME.[​IMG]

catdad49, Stogy, Rich B. and 4 others like this.
  7. scoop

scoop

Hinges are cool,what rear spring are you using?

8. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

just stumbled to your thread, sick rod man! Nicely detailed!!!;)

9. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

My wife's parents and prior to that her grandma's old leather couch and three piece lounge suite,,,,,,,recycled,got enough to do the rest of the car,,,

10. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Using a Socal model A buggy spring,,8 leaves ,but I may take one out to soften the ride slightly

11. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Thanks for that,,,looked at a lot of Model A's while building this,, took ideas from a lot of cars ,,,,,,as you do,,

JUNK ROD and nunattax like this.
  12. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Weekend update

Got a few more jobs nailed this weekend,
    Made the driveshaft safety loop,painted and ready to fit
    Finished the gearbox cover,, primed,painted and ready to fit,
    Got the trunk rubber hinge gaskets made and fitted ,happy with this
    Reset the engine timing ,advanced it up a bit,only one way to double check this ,,,

ROADTEST time

Was slightly unhappy with the handling characteristics with the crossplys,, not that conjusic
    to New Zealand roads,plus I intend to drive the shit out of this around country,,,
    Really happy with the ride and handling with the Excelsior Stahl Radials,,,,corners very well and softened up the ride ,,
    The ride difference is like chalk and cheese,,totally different car to drive

Changed the crossply tires for a set of Excelsior Stahl Radial tires. 750:16 rear,,6:50:16 front,
    When I ordered them a couple of years ago the company didn't have 550:16 or 600:16 tires in stock,,,so I grabbed a set of 650:16s
    I'm still undecided about the profile of the front with 650:16s,some angles they look quite large ,other angles they look ok ,,
    The door has been slightly buffed to see how it will come out when I do the whole car
    IMG_7918.jpg Trunk hinges looking good,,,,real happy with the outcome IMG_7917.jpg IMG_7916.jpg
    A little bit of train spotting,, IMG_7915.jpg

catdad49, Hotrodmyk, Rich B. and 5 others like this.
  13. clem

clem

Most photos that I’ve seen from the ‘40s & ‘50s the cars have large front tyres.
    Interesting to hear your comments about the crossplys verses Excelsiors.
    Neat car, - I like it. Thanks for the updates.

whitewallwilly likes this.
  14. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Thanks Clem,,,yes the Excelsiors made a huge difference,also really soak up the bumps, and took the harsh ride out of it,,, I had already dicked with different air pressures in the crossply tires,
    Running these at 31psi front an rear as a benchmark to start with
    Cheers
    Pete

catdad49 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man I wish you’d said the radials suck lol. So much more cash than the bias plies but they sound worth it.

car looks fantastic, the pin striping on the dash really ties it’s together well.

for the 3 year old, they make ear muffs for the little tikes. I’ll have to get the name brand off the ones we have. My little one wears them to the drags and for hot rod rides.

she likes her cars loud, but with her ear muffs on. I asked if she’d rather the car be quite and not have to wear the ear muffs and was told “no! Hot rods are loud dad!” Fair enough lol

catdad49, Stogy, 30 AV8 and 2 others like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Google banz hearing protection. Or baby banz hearing protection. Fit fantastic and she can put them on her self.

Stogy likes this.
  17. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Yes the tires are very expensive, but completely changed the ride and handling ,I would have kept the crossplys,but I want to drive this car on long trips,an our roads in New Zealand aren't that great so your fighting all the way with it,
    My granddaughter also loves riding in the hotrods,she's only 3,,, can't wait to take her to her first swap meet
    Cheers IMG_6590.PNG

catdad49, Rich B., Stogy and 3 others like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah the roads here look like something that’s been bombed from the sky about half the year.

she’ll love the swap meet. It’s like a scavenger hunt :)

Stogy likes this.
  19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Stogy likes this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

at least with a model A sized car it’s easier to dart between the craters. Busted an upper shock mount clean off my 46 this year :S

Stogy and whitewallwilly like this.
  21. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Finished off the gearbox tunnel over the weekend,painted and fitted
    will make a couple of boots and rings to go around the handbrake an gear levers IMG_7932.jpg IMG_7930.jpg F

Attached Files:

catdad49, Rich B. and Stogy like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very tidy!

Stogy, JUNK ROD and whitewallwilly like this.
  23. scoop

scoop

Sent you a dm, Willy.

24. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Late Xmas present from the Chrome Shop, fog lamp housing an band clamp ,and horn cover rechromed,,
    Now Assembled and mounted and wired IMG_0255.JPG IMG_0256.JPG F

catdad49, Hotrodmyk, Rich B. and 5 others like this.
  25. earlymopar

earlymopar

Great Looking Model A in so many ways. I'm amazed at how good the 36 headlights "fit" the car.

- EM

26. scoop

scoop

That's why I switched to radials, my girls and now my granddaughter and soon to be grandson. A lot safer.

27. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

fuck sentiment use the safest tyres on the market think of the little ones chris

scoop and whitewallwilly like this.
  28. cederholm

cederholm

Awesome build!! Beautiful car and workmanship.

~ Carl

29. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Fantastic looking "A", love it!