Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A Body Value

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deerejohnb, Jan 16, 2019.

1. deerejohnb

deerejohnb

Would anyone have an estimate of what the value of this body would be? It is very solid all the way around. What year body would it be?

upload_2019-1-16_20-26-20.png

2. mopacltd

mopacltd

'30 or '31 body. I don't think much over $1,500 value around these parts

deerejohnb likes this.
  3. 30/31 ford

there is something wrong with the top over the door and the windshield... did someone try chopping it?

deerejohnb likes this.
  4. deerejohnb

deerejohnb

I think you are right. It may be chopped.

5. deerejohnb

deerejohnb

6. flatford39

flatford39

30 31 Ford Model A tudor. I would advertise it around $2,500 but would take $1,800 maybe even $1,500.00 if I needed the money. If you can get it for under a grand you won't get hurt. The bottom looks real solid but someone has been working on it. Looks like a patch on the lower back panel as well as a chop that never got finished.

deerejohnb likes this.
  7. Is that a 4 door sedan with the back doors welded up ?

8. Squablow

Squablow

That was definitely a Tudor sedan to start with. I'm in line with FlatFord39, if I had that I'd put it out there for around $2300 and be willing to take maybe $1500, although the price is best from March to May (tax return time) so the value goes up and down depending on time of year. It'd be a harder sell in the dead of winter, or late summer. Timing matters on value with something like this.

flatford39 likes this.
  9. Check out the length of the rear window here: https://mafca.com/gallery_1930.html I think you will conclude it has been a 2 door sedan all of its life.

Charlie Stephens

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

The header over the windshield and metal over the doors isn't from a Ford, note the missing tack strip area. Rot repair on the rear panel, and chop weld quality, puts it at around a grand in my book. Bob

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. clem

clem

At first glance I thought it was a ‘30 A slant sedan.
    But as the 37 Kid above notes, it has been modified significantly.
    To correct it would probably cost more than it is worth.
    Possibly cheaper to start with another body, or if selling, give it away for garden art.
    Rust hole in tank, patches etc, all says to me $ 0.00

12. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Donestly on the header, I would swap out with a 32.... Or just put the visor on this with some small fillers on the sides and no one would be the wiser. 1500-2500 is price range still... some folks with the RR craze would ask about 4 to 5 but I would laugh and walk away. Title is worth about 300 bucks roughly..... Looks like a good start. Yes it is chopped about 3" good start to a hotrod...

13. adam401

adam401

Header and over doors looks like its from a victoria. Or maybe one of the coachbuilt 4 doors. I've got a victoria though and that really looks like it. If its got subframe in it then it might be a good start to a car.

14. elba

elba

Inflation. My father in law bought a complete running 31 coupe in 1955 for fifteen dollars .

49ratfink likes this.
  15. I think you could take it apart and get $1000-$1500 in parts out of it without too much trouble. That upper front roof section is a problem, but it's not like a correct one is unobtanium either.

For once I'm on the low side, but you have to start high because everyone wants a deal; I'd ask mid-2's or put it on a chassis and ask mid-3's.

16. ..looks like it's perfect as is to make a neat hot rod, I'd put a visor on it and blend in the paint and go...what's the asking price?...Model A's are bringin decent $...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

What's your location? That will be a huge factor. Also how you sell it. Listing it on Craigslist or hauling it out to a major car swap meet? If you're taking it to the LARS swap meet, it'll have a $4000 OBO sign on it. Other regions, maybe half that.
    Squablow is right on as far as timing. Dead of Winter can be a tough time.

Let's be glad whoever "worked" on it, stopped when they did because it's a real botch job. The rolled door tops, too short doors and chop all need redone, which will be more work that if you started with an uncut stocker.
    It can be saved though. Fix the roof/door openings, cut the roof back off and re-chop it-another 2" or so, and fill the roof.
    At least someone didn't chop it 8".

18. 5window

5window

Good eyes. Guess it boils down to where you are located, if you're the seller or buyer, what you want to do with it, do you have the time,skills and patience to part it out and sell it piecemeal and how badly do you want to get or get rid of it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    The37Kid likes this.
  19. 5window

5window

20. What a mess. I'm sorry you young Guys have to work with Scrap Iron. If that thing is worth 2k that just shows ya the Sorry Value of the good old American dollar. Yes it looks like it could be a car again but to a Good tin smith worth his Shop Rate he'd just laugh at it. Speaking from my point of view of course. You couldn't pay me to start there.
    The Wizzard

21. 41fred207

41fred207

PB150011.JPG Here in the extreme north east a decent 90 yr old body is a rarity. Hell, 5 to 10 year old bodies (and frames) are suffering from the salt and brine our roads require to keep them clear and safe in the winter, though most of the "old" stuff had most likely been retired before it's use. Now their mostly found rotting on the edges of fields and stone walls where they were pushed or pulled by farmers to make room for next year's crop. Or found in the woods where a tree had fallen on to it or a logger drove his skidder over it just for fun! I started with worse but paid less accordingly, trading an ATV that I had $500.00 in. Was still probably too much but I was in the market for an A project and I love the sedans. Just wish it was a Tudor when I started...

22. pitman

pitman

Nice cowl strip! ;)
    Agree.

The37Kid likes this.
  23. 41fred207

41fred207

Ha! Oddly enough I aquired that nice cowl strip and the Rusty tin it surrounds in your home state of 'Hampsha!

24. pitman

pitman

Yep, it'll buff out right nice! :eek:

25. pitman

pitman

Looks kinda like Ma Barker's car!:eek:
    (Might have a look under the seats)

26. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Several 1929 2 dr. sedans in the area asking $2500 give or take a few hundred. they have been for sale for a while. One in Seattle for months. Bodies only.
    Makes it a lot easier if you post your location or at least the State.

27. clem

clem

Original poster hasn’t been on the forum since he posted this thread.
    I was curious as to what he did with it !

28. oldolds

oldolds

I always think it interesting how few people that start a What's it worth" discussion ever do much more than start the thread. Do they get disappointed because it not worth big dollars or because it is really worth something and they thought it was worthless

clem and Squablow like this.