Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A body removal help.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by soda4u2, Jun 21, 2014.

1. soda4u2

soda4u2

I'm currently removing the body on my 30 coupe.
    I'm doing the job by myself , I just had a couple of questions. Is the splash apron attached to the body or frame? I've removed al the body bolts . Doing the linkages and steering column now. Removed the rear fenders. Doing the job alone, I'm just trying to figure out the tricks before I try to lift the body off. Any advice would be great!! Thanks- Jimmy

2. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

splash aprons are not connected to the body. they lay on The frame. I would highly suggest a couple friends to help lift it. I was able to do it with 3 buddies. 4 corner it and lift and walk it out. I'm sure u can get creative and do it yourself.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

I always took the bodies off by myself. Just jack up one end so you can slide a long board under it, same with the other end, supported on each side by whatever works. If high enough just roll the frame out from under, or if not high enough take the wheels/tires off, then roll/slide it out. I had a wooden dolly with casters to roll back under, and set err down.

4. There's at least 2 dozen ways to do this. I've tried most of them and doing it alone is not any fun and can be really risky because if something happens you'll lay there until someone comes looking for you. Be careful.

Now with all that said, I broke down and bought a gantry crane- best 500.00 I've ever spent and every time I lift a body in a matter of minuets I think about all the ass busting times I did it without. Non of them are a good way to me anymore, spoiled rotten. Look for a used one but they go quick. You'd have no trouble selling one.

5. soda4u2

soda4u2

Thanks for the help. I've got the body up about 3" sitting on 2x4, on frame. I'm on my way now!! Thanks again.

6. I just went through this with my coupe body. When I took the body off, i had it up on angle iron and jack stands. As the frame was being pulled out from underneath, it caught on the body and almost knocked it off the stands. When putting the body back on, i rounded up some buddies and Man handled it. If you can remove the seat and doors that will help with the weight.

Streetrods are driven by Chevy, Hotrods are powered by FORD!

7. I converted a set of camper topper jacks to do mine,,,