Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. raven

raven

Of you have any questions about the path Kieth will lead you down, just take a look at the Tardel/Cochran A coupe and all it’s fine points.
    Can someone post some pics of Ryan’s coupe, please?
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2247554694_290428a464_b.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=396

3. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Stogy likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are many ways of finishing a Hotrod. Ryan's coupe is a beauty and yes it was built to a vintage theme.

I would like to have seen your Hotrod in 1962 to pick a period. I'd like to know how old the slots are. I would be going shiny but again you are the one who will complete your Hotrod based on the many options you will have based on your historical canvas and the period that captures your heart.

The Rex Team is very diverse in pulling contemporary and historic restorations. I really like yourself and the others hope that more history on this ride is uncovered.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now this is a very interesting build going on and this Hotrod has a very documented past...and what was done here is a decision to restore it to a period in its historic past...it really in that way is what you are faced with...do I go 1970 which actually may have actually been its 1965 configuration or older based on what you uncover...I mean a radically different Hotrod The Kookie T had 3 to 5 distinct period looks and they are going to restore it back to perhaps the 3rd by literally stripping of added changes...quite a challenge.

0_97b6f00466e41d3fe222d71aead2d206 (1).jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/“tweety-bird”-showed-up-at-rex-rods.1085656/

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

fiftyv8 and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  7. catdad49

catdad49

That car just needs a "renewal", nothing more! This will be one to watch, Love the Caddy.

8. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Well don't rock the boat about that ser # but that must be something that Texas issued because it's not a 32 ford #. If it was as far as I know it would start with 18- and a series of 3 to 5 more numbers. It would also have a five pointed star before and after the numbers.

RiffRaffRoadster and flatford39 like this.
  9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

10. Deescott

Deescott

That car is already a perfect hot rod to a lot of people. It’s also worth more just fixing what is there and making it drivable without taking it completely apart. Take the time to find the right shop to help you, because most shops will see an opportunity to dismantle and discard most of that car then hand you a $40,000 dollar bill for building a whole new one. Make it drivable and enjoy it for a bit before you turn it into an expensive, 4 year project.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

sorry Stogy - rookie here. What are 'slots'? The Rallye wheels?

1low52 and Stogy like this.
  12. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I'm pretty sure the VIN was in the right place on the frame rail. Maybe re-registered at some point?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Gold - this car is very similar to our car in a lot of ways. Thanks for sharing.

Stogy likes this.
  14. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes the Mags/Wheels perhaps they are Rallye...I call them Slots as in Slotted as I think they are commonly referred to this way due to the kidney shaped holes. This is an area where I am careful as many times these Rims/Mags are older than one would think. So what I was saying is they may in fact be period to 1965ish rather than 1970.
    By the way @Deescott fairly recently acquired his Model A which was actually a period capsule and he does have a thread on it. In my opinion he aced that rebirth. His thread below...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/update-model-a-hot-rod-built-in-63.1110160/

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  16. X-cpe

X-cpe

I remember seeing that car in Hot Rod as a kid and for some unexplained reason at the time it just said WOW! Still does.

17. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Another one for preserve As Much as you possibly can... You have the car we All dream of finding!!! Worth Way more in Kool factor as found/built, An cash value! I'm pretty sure you're picking up on the bias here.. h-hee
    B(.)(.)Bie's Car!!!

Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  18. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thirtytwo: thanks for the comments. One thing I have not explained in this thread is how a modern tranny ended up in the car. About 12 years ago, a buddy and I pulled the car out of storage one weekend and got the engine running (badly) and for some reason, we thought the original '57 Powerglide tranny was locked up so we took it to a local transmission guy who swapped it for a refurbished TH350. I think he's the one who cut the cross member to fit it. I tried calling him this weekend to ask him what he did with the old tranny. He may have sold it at a swap meet or something. So I hope I didn't de-value the car with these actions. I checked the serial number of the engine and it's from a 1957 Chevy, and fellow HAMBERS have identified that the rear end is also late-'50's Chevy (probably from same source car).
    Is there a benefit/disadvantage to upgrading the transmission vs finding another '57 Powerglide? Weren't they 3-speeds?

Stogy likes this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Power glide is 2 speeds. I’d probably leave the th350 unless you want three pedals

loudbang, Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  20. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thanks CAHotRodBoy: Rexrods has not agreed to anything yet! I've been checking out their FB page and they definitely are legit and BUSY! I'm really anxious to hear what they have to say if/when they look at the car.

Stogy likes this.
  21. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

My very thoughtful son gave me this for Christmas - some of the old newspaper "filler" we found in the doors of the Roadster. You can see they are from Long Beach, CA and date from 1947. Not sure if this proves anything for certain, but it does appear that one of the original owners/builders may have been from that area in that time frame!
    Looks like this will be a Father/Son project now!

Attached Files:

brad2v, Okie Pete, weemark and 9 others like this.
  22. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I wouldn't really sweat the 350 trans. That's a good trans. An one of the few thing's even the most Traditional build's get a pardon on... There's more flatheads running 5-speeds than you'd know!

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The Astro style chrome steel slot was a real popular mid 60's wheel with a few different mfg's.
    Here are some being reproduced.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/new-astro-howard-style-chrome-slot-wheels.970413/

24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Father/son project just raised the coolness factor of this to another level! :cool:

loudbang and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  25. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Can't believe I missed this thread. Sweet ride. Subscribed and ready to see how it turns out. Make you dad proud.

Oldtmtech and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  26. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Hollywood-East likes this.
  27. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Yes clean, paint no.

28. goldmountain

goldmountain

Looks like a lot of guys are steering you towards old fenderless cars. Please keep the fenders. Gives this car character.

tb33anda3rd, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm betting you will have your answer about 30 seconds after stopping at the first chrome shop.
    If you are set on this style of wheel you might check out the HAMB'r that is making them in the link I posted, he is currently active here as recently as yesterday.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  30. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Even if the chrome is less than perfect, the wheels that were on the car ARE perfect for it. Some chrome polish #7 does wonders on speckled rust.