Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

It must have been upgraded right before Dad bought it because i looked at one of the tires on the slot wheels and it has “1971”. Not sure if that is date of manufacture, but if it is they were either on the car when he bought it or he changed the tires soon after buying it.
    IMG_2395.JPG

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am really not as up on this stuff totally but I think that complete dash panel including the complete panel is Auburn or?. I remember Hamber @Flop working on a Deuce with a dash with opening a
    On both sides like that...you may have been told this already. I will see if I can find that.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rims are a bolt on the other stuff could be much older as I said.

One of the quickest dramatic changes to spiff up an old car is throw a set of Shiny rims and modern 1970s bias plys and it's not 1962 any more.

jimgoetz likes this.
  4. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Moriarty-you nailed the Cragar steering wheel...
    IMG_2375.JPG IMG_2376.JPG

brad2v, catdad49, Moriarity and 2 others like this.
  5. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Stogy likes this.
  6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

loudbang, RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your Dash...honestly the ole backside really unveils a hell of a lot of historic clues that's for sure

IMG_2398.JPG

Random Pierce Arrow dashes around 1932/34

pierce-arrow-model-51-sport-coupe-332639900-4.jpg

pierce-arrow-part-4.jpg

1273822-1934-pierce-arrow-silver-arrow-std.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  8. flatford39

flatford39

This thing is about traditional as one could ask for. It was the real deal back in its day. Thank you for posting the additional photos. It is appreciated.

Just keep them coming.

HunterYJ, Stogy, jimgoetz and 2 others like this.
  9. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

scott27, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am wondering about the big gauge holes adjacent to the glove box or whatever they were. As they are not on the stock dashes I posted and they do look possibly stock.

RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  11. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

The car may have three distinct “periods”. Late ‘40s highboy SoCal rod. Late ‘50s/early ‘60s rebuild with V8 and fenders? Then a late ‘60s refresh with new some new parts, tires, custom trailer? I’m trying to understand which parts are from which era. When you say this car is traditional, which era would typically use these brakes, this steering box, and the suspension parts?

slv63 and Stogy like this.
  12. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

My guess is the car was orig built 1947 approx or that’s when it became nice when they worried about insulation with the newspaper , I would guess it was updated slightly until the early , mid 60s when that crashed 57 Chevy was exploited for its running gear , then minor stuff again steering wheel , wheel and tire changes and that’s when your dad bought it

All that stuff was common used into the 70s then disc brakes 4 bar , Pete Jakes ect started producing parts

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  14. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Nice read

Stogy likes this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This could a have been an A-V8 Roadster from early Hotrod days in the 40s but it would have been likely a Flathead Ford with standard trans...was there a hood that you can remember

16. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

No never saw a hood or top

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I talked about leaning the Windshield posts back and not being an A Roadster expert have noted that some of these posts are hinged and adjustable down at the low end of the post...but I also recall seeing the posts heated and bent back...maybe I'm getting the chopping and leaning mixed up...:D

18. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

I would keep your Dads car as original as possible. Rebuild frame ,brakes,front end. Was anyone able to track down info on the agency he bought it from in amarillo. And thank you for your Dads service..

Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  19. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Thank you. I’ve asked one Hamber from the TX panhandle to ask around, and the shop manager from Rexrods here in S. TX says he knows several older hot rod builders in the Amarillo area that he will ask.
    Would the local Amarillo DMV office give out previous owner info?

RDR and Stogy like this.
  20. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Taillights are staying on the fenders on my car! I just really like that retro look

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the large holes adjacent were added way back and were nicely cut in giving one an impression they were stock.

Keep an eye for names or info hand scribed, penciled or painted on...any pinstriping left anywhere sometimes they signed their work.

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Both are retro and either or is period but we know what it was when your Dad purchased it and your decisiveness in sticking with things is admirable.

Finding and knowing history does not mean a return is nessesary...its a choice but not exercising that and sticking with its 60's flavor is completely justified.

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

24. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I think I still have a pair of these but the lenses are gone. If you want them I could send them to you. I hope you don't think I'm telling you what to do, either way you go is correct. If I was redoing my dads car I'm sure I would keep it looking pretty much the way he had it.

25. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Would it be period correct to chop the windshield slightly, angle it back and little, and leave the top of the glass frameless?

26. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I think I’m good Jim but thanks.

Stogy likes this.
  27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Man, this is just my opinion, but if you have a fond memory of that car from when you were a kid. Then if I were you I would do my best to make that car exactly as it was back then down to the smallest detail....

28. The F100 steering box became available in 1953. It probably took a few years before that box was in common use in hot rods. I think that most, if not all, of the drivetrain and chassis modifications were made after '57 and probably done in the early '60s.

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think frameless upper glass existed in the Hallock style windshields but I don't think it was a common thing with the stock windshield.

Again whatever you change these are unboltable reversals should you change your mind to return back. And I would keep the original windshield intact and mod another. You rely on better historically minded opinions than mine on changes and history. I really like that Gold Roadster but a stock windshield as yours is carrys itself historically and visually well too.

RiffRaffRoadster and jimgoetz like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Riff I think this is a set of your wheels with period rubber looking pretty spiffy...;)

tumblr_ovueecLim91qffcboo1_1280.jpg

Credit to Photographer, Owner