Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A body attachment to subrails

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RB35, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Been doing a variety of things to the coupster and finally found that the rear quarter panels were of slightly different lengths. No wonder I couldn't get things lined up. Probably my fault with the patch panels. Anyway, issue resolved and about ready to fasten the body parts to the subrails and make one whole body. Body part removal from the old subrails indicated screws, rivets, some spot welds, nails into the wood members, etc. How are you attaching the rear quarters on your A to the subrails? Do you fold the bottom piece to wrap around the subrail first? I have a Hobart mig and HF spot welder at my disposal and lots of clecos to keep it in its current alignment.
    Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    RB

2. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

where spot welding is required I would drill 5/16 Holes in the accessible side of the parts to be joined and fill them with your mig ( stronger than spot welder ) Before any Welding make sure the Body is Square by measuring Diagonally the Trunk opening , Roof to Floor etc. You can't take too many measurements .Because welding will draw the metal I use Friction Jacks to hold the Body Square and the welding should be done from side to side not all in one area skip around and don't be in a hurry, Square is most important if you expect the Windshield , Doors and Decklid to fit afterward.I'm sure others will add their 2 cents. This is the method I use

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  3. Squaring things up is a given.Any suggestions on folding the lower patch panels to wrap around the subrails before welding?? I can punc holes to plug weld, trying to find out if I should approach it differently.
    Thanks,
    RB

4. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

That's a very good question?. I don't have answer, i second the question.
    Fold edge under? Rolled lip, or just cut off bottom edge? Maybe Steadfast will chime in, as the HAMB alliance manufacturers of model a on 32 subrail, some pics of finished bottom quarter & wheel-well?

5. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My 29 has a " ▐/ " shape to it , not folded tight , I drilled small holes along the length for drainage . I think that is what you're referring to ?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  6. That's pretty much what's on the bottom of the patch panels. I'm thinking I'll cut small squares out at the front and rear of the lip and then drill the subrails in matching locations for drainage, semi fill the rest of the inside of the V with seam sealer to direct water to the drain holes.
    Thanks for your comments.
    RB