Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A barn find!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nickk, Jul 17, 2011.

1. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Keep us posted as you build this one. Not often you can start with such a solid example. I agree that you have a rare opportunity to work with someone that's older and willing to give a young guy a break. Don't mess up and you'll have a friend for life.

Frank

2. Django

Django
    from Chicago

If this old timer is your new best friend, that is worth way more than the car. Once the old guys take a shine to you, it really is a blessing. Soak up as much as you can.

Congrats.

3. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nickk sounds like your head is screwed on straight. You have made a new friend be sure to take Him for a ride and listen to his stories.

4. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Once you drive a stock Model A you might not want to hot rod it..... At least for awhile! My banger is slow and very picky, but I love it! It forces you to slow down and appreciate things a bit more. I feel like the car and I have a bond that goes beyond just turning a key and pushing a gas pedal. The sound, the feel, the smell of a Model A will stick with you forever.

5. Incredible find!

6. yblock292

yblock292

When i built my A coupe with a 292, I stretched the frame 7 1/2 inches to fit the yblock in with out cutting the firewall . Worked good.Just got home from driveing her. Damn she's fun!

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow...congrats, Nick. That sure looks like a good one.

So great that you and your new buddy hit it off. An older guy and a not-so-older guy is a good combination. You, with stamina, desire and spirit, and him with experience, knowlege, wisdom...and parts!...lol. Have fun.

8. auction in indiana???
    tk

9. nickk

nickk

couldn't have said that any better, after riding in a stock one id really like to keep it that way, but the old guy said he's rather me make it more drivable now so i can enjoy it and just keep all the stock running gear and restore it to original when im older

10. nickk

nickk

thanks for all the replies everyone, it gets me more and more excited, im going back tomorrow to put some more money down on it, hopefully ill find the money as quick as possible so i can get this thing going, ill keep yall posted with progress once it starts, im not getting it out till its paid off, which maybe awhile considering i still owe 5,500 but within the next few days im gonna go clean it and take more pics

11. genosslk

genosslk

The stuff is still out there tucked away to be found by some lucky guy! Here is what I found last year in a shed that about 500 cars a day drove by every day! I found it by accident while changing out an electric irrigation meter. 0805101041[1].jpg

0805101042[1].jpg

12. rotenjon

rotenjon

NICE FIND! but like others have said your new friend is probably more valuble as he obviously has alot of knowledge about model A's or he wouldn't have so many, keep your ears open when your with him.

13. nickk

nickk

that is awesome, did you get it?

14. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

That is real cool

15. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

In the last 10 years I know of 9 real complete model A s that have come straight out of local barnes. None of them went to me but just saying get it when you get the chance or someone else will!

16. sololobo

sololobo

F*** A Duck, that is killer, rub that paint out and it looks like it would be awesome. As we keep saying, they are still out there. El-proof-o! ~sololobo~

17. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I was there too and that coupe was pretty nice (old restoration) for $6750 with no title. But the Vickie went for $9700, not 7K. :)

18. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

love it just the way it is. make that old man proud and make sure you learn a lot from him :) Theyre a dying breed and it sounds like he has entrusted you with one of his prozed possesions. You habve a friend for life now :)

19. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

awesome nick , great find !!!

20. nickk

nickk

thanks bud, im gonna hit you up soon, i got a better vechicle on gas now so it wont be so bad to ride up there

21. r8odecay

r8odecay

I'll give you $6001 for it, in payments....

Just kidding, good on you and nice story, nice find! Do the ol' A bone proud!!!

22. nickk

nickk

i was able to pay another $350 on the coupe today, only 5,150 more to go! stoked, and i cant wait to start working on it.

23. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

24. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

If I may be so bold as to offer you a bit of advice that worked for me when I was your age... (f**k I hate how that makes me sound old)

Take the time to help your new buddy work on his stuff while you're making payments. The old gent's got a wealth of info to pass on to you & there's no better way to learn than working side by side with somebody that has over half a century of experience.

You'll both enjoy the afternoons spent wrenching on the old tin @ his place & you can't buy that kind of education.

Larry

25. nickk

nickk

yes, im gonna try my hardest to spend time hanging out with him, hes already teaching me stuff and telling about his past and about all the model A's hes had, he has really just been awesome to talk to, and be around. and i fill honored to be able to get a coupe hes owned since 1959, most people dont let go of stuff like this but he's willing to let me buy it, i honestly couldnt be more thankful and greatful

26. Cool story grasshopper.... have fun!!

27. Kenny DFW

Kenny DFW

Just friggin awesome. You must be living right.....

28. IndyHolland

IndyHolland

Kinda sounds like me. My dad and i were working on a lakehouse when a relative to the owner said he had a 59 Chevy for sale in a garage sale that day. Dad looked at it and asked me if i wanted to look at it. I took my phone and headed off to that side of the lake. He opened the garage and some of the next words out of his mouth were "rust free" and i knew i had to have it. He wanted $4800 for it, i didnt have 4800 to spend on a truck, so i asked for payments. He hesitated and i said i wouldnt hack it up and drag it and he agreeed to payments, that was last October of '10 and i have my Apache now, as of three weeks ago.

29. A Rodder

A Rodder

How bout an update?

30. nickk

nickk

as far as updates, friday im getting paid, i have some extra money at the moment so my whole paycheck will be going towards the car, which will only be around 400 bucks but thats better then nothing, and i also picked up a drop axle the other day for a few bucks and some trading, ive been heavily debating on motors lately weighing out my options but im leaning towards a ohv 4 cylinder, and 4 speed that my unlce said i could use