Register now to get rid of these ads!

model a banjo swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by telecustom, Feb 25, 2010.

1. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

I have been searching the HAMB and cant quite find the answers I'm looking for so.. this is what I would like to do, I want to use the model a torque tube and drive shaft with a 38' diff and tube axles because I want to keep the frame stock and still run a flat eight. Is this stuff interchangeable? If so it'll save much time on cutting down the 38'.

2. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Totally different flange on the '38 banjo, right? Scalloped flange......

Isn't a Model A flange just round like a '32? Just a guess.....but I don't think you could bolt them up......pinion is also splined differently...I think......

Where's Bruce Lancaster? Bruce Lancaster to the red phone!

CB

3. R Pope

R Pope

Won't work. Shorten a '39 driveshaft tube, using '48 'bones (they're shorter). Use the '39 splined ends and a .120 wall 2" tube for the shaft.
    A Model A rear will work with a mild flatmotor for a while. They used to use 'em back in the day, but they won't stand up to very much "fun".

4. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Yea I didn't think you could toss the A in to mix.. my fix your ford book only go's back to 35' for banjos, I do know from one of Bruce Lancaster's threads the 32'-34' are different from the 35'-46' when it come's to bolting the bells to the differential case, but very similar when it comes to the ring gear, axle shafts, and spider gears.

It looks like I'm going to have to buy this 38' axle now, but what about running the spring over top the banjo? Well I have seen Chris cut the spring hanger and top two holes off junk A bells, and that seems to work with the stock A spring because the later axle is overall 1'' longer then the A banjo. Thus its still possible to use the A bones with the cut spring hanger as long as you have a 1/2'' spacer for bolt up. but Iv heard of guys saying that the A bones are too weak for AV8 use. Which is what brought me to thinking if the A torque tube was possible to use on later differentials.

So what if I cut down both the 38' torque tube and drive shaft, are the bones still usable? Or do I need the 48' bones, what about the A bones can they be used or do I really need to go smaller?

5. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Found what I'm looking for... Thread Show me the way 1940 rear in 1929 model A.

Also picking up 38' rear next week :D
    <!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->

6. Rem

Rem

I think the '38 wishbones might be too long once you have cut the torque tube and driveshaft to suit the A. As R.Pope says, later ones (it might be from '42 on) use shorter wishbones. As regards their strength, Ford rear wishbones, when used in their intended application with a closed driveline, only triangulate the rear axle to keep it square to the torque tube so do not need to be as strong as front 'bones.

When used with an open driveline it is a whole different matter, and no Ford rear wishbones are really strong enough to be used without additional torque arms - although there are any number of opinions on this, and almost as many threads on here probably!