Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A banjo rear mated to 9" axles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scibjenkins, Dec 24, 2013.

1. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I saw the article about Mike Herman's A coupe and was impressed by the use of 9" axles in a 40 Ford rear housing. So I got to wondering, "has anyone ever put 9" axles in a stock Model A axle housing?".

So has anyone ever done this before?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  2. I have not done this, but have thought about it. I have a banjo under the rear of my 27 T and would like to have the safety of axle retainers just in case. I have read a few article's and have seen a step- by- step tech on it, but got kinda discouraged due to some of the steps are out of my ability. If you decide to do it please post a tech on it so it might inspire me again.

3. There has been threads on this subject they use 28 spline axles did you try a search?

4. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I haven't done a real thorough search yet, Jeff. I do remember seeing a tech thread on here, but I believe that was for a '40 banjo.

I guess I should do a little more digging and see if I uncover anything.

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Doesn't Hot Rod Works in Nampa, ID do this?

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm not aware of this in a Model "A" rear, it's been fairly common in V8 rears for ever. Before Ford 9" stuff the trick used to be done with '49-'54 Merc stuff or Ford truck stuff from '49 -'56. I really can't see this being a doer on Model "A" stuff because the ring and pinion and differential are quite a bit smaller than V8 stuff, and side gears have to be ground down and the case machined to fit in the V8 stuff.

7. I had a Halibrand quicky with 56 ford truck axels and spiders. Worked really well.

8. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

That's what my thoughts were too. Just wanted to see if anyone has defied logic and did it anyway.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I just had to ask.

9. 28rpu

28rpu

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Wow, good to be proven wrong in this case! That's awfully expensive though.

11. 28rpu

28rpu

Have you heard of economies of scale?

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yes, I have. My point is that it is a batch of money to something that I can honestly see no real reason to do. The V8 version is a much stronger axle, with the same availability of going to the later axles in a much less expensive manner. The use of these axles behind all but a massively hopped four banger is sort of a waste because the originals would serve just as well. I can't think of a class racing application that would require the smaller lighter rear end and require a positively located and retained wheel assembly.

About the only reason I can think of for this to be available is someone who was stuck on using his original rear end under an early '32 and wanted to plug in a hot flat head. It still would behoove at that point to go to the later V8 stuff.

I'm not begrudging Hot Rod Works for making it in any way, and I am quite familiar with what it would take to machine and produce something like this. Just can't quite figure out why...

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I thought HRW did it. I explored this several years ago when looking for a traditionally styled rear for a Model-Y that would get a V8-60 transplant...they narrow the banjos too, which would be required in this installation.

14. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

I machine banjo housings and related parts to put 8 or 9 inch axles in the Halibrand conversions that I do. The Model A axle housing diameters as well as the carrier bearing hub size and the spider gear style are all to small to work with the conversion for drop in axles.