Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A airbags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cdeklavs, May 19, 2009.

1. cdeklavs

cdeklavs
    from port perry

<HR SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Ok fellas I have a question regarding airbags for the rear of my 30 model A. I am kinga confussed on what bag i should use for the rear, some guys are tellin me to run a Firestone bag pn# F9000, and some other guys are sayin no. What is everyone using? I don't want the suspension to raise and lower at all I just want a nice ride with a set of bags.

Any and all help would be greatly helpfull

Cheers Chris

<!-- / message -->
    <!-- controls -->[​IMG]

2. Katula

Katula
    from Austin, TX

Look....I gotta bump this........

3. Throttlehead250

Throttlehead250
    from Houston TX

just get some nice coil overs.

why do you want bags so bad?

4. hvychvy

hvychvy

I was in the same boat.I ended up gettin a cheap set off ebay,don't recall what size though.Put a T with a schrader valve,used them like airshocks,and worked great.I just didn't want to try to figure out what weight spring to use for coilovers.Everone I talked to gave me a different answer.

5. Clark

Clark

I've used everything from the double convoluted bags to the sleeved bags. All have worked good. Like the other guy said ..we just use schrader valves.

There's 3 advantages over coil overs..
    1. adjustable
    2. cheaper
    3. don't have to guess what spring wieght to run
    Clark

6. To Tall

To Tall

don't forget

Attached Files:

7. dirt

dirt

airbags on a model A is like f'n your sister, its just wrong.

8. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

what dirt said

9. Clark

Clark

Wrong.....guess all these cars are just wrong. Sorry the one is a 32.
    Clark

Attached Files:

10. dirt

dirt

if their running airbags then yes their wrong.

11. Clark

Clark

dirt.. I guess I'll just have to ask you how to build cars from now on cause I've been doing it wrong.
    Clark

12. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

dirt thats funny. I agree, I know some mini trucker guys turned hot rodders that are all about that stuff. Not my thing but whatever, I'm over telling people what they should do. If you don't get it, ya don't get it. I have built some stupid stuff in my day and i'm sure most other people have too. Shit I don't like the hot rod i'm driving now. Anyway I built a suburban way back when with bags. i just got some $50 bags from AIM and they worked fine. I still see that POS rolling around town with the same set up. Your model a will prob be like 2000lbs so anything should work fine.

13. Clark

Clark

BTW...the green car and the 32 have done cross country trips.
    Clark

14. smithchassisandmetalworks

smithchassisandmetalworks
    from louisville

with the weight out back you will want to go with the f9000 tapered sleeves with a good adjustable rate shock.

15. hvychvy

hvychvy

My car is wrong because I used airbags on the back for a better ride?I don't get some of you guys,you don't think they would have used them back in the day if they were available?Everything else on my car is traditional as I can get with what I have:cool:Funny how you guys never say anything about putting a sub-frame on an older pick-up or car.Must just be a traditional hot rod thing.

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

How about you express an opinion WITHOUT shitting on someone else?

17. hooligan909

hooligan909
    from San Diego!

+1 agreed... i think its funny when someone tells somone else what there car should be like

18. dirt

dirt

actually, airbags were used back in the day. alot earlier than most people think. some customs used them as well. but i have never seen one vintage picture of a model A with bags. i have well over 300 magazines from 48-68. sorry guys but it just wasn't done. if anyone has a picture of one (pre 1965) i would love to see it.

19. JamesG

JamesG

[​IMG]

20. BigDfromthe303

BigDfromthe303

Coil overs are the way to go. Air bags do ride nice. Love them on my range rover. Not needed on a 2600lb model a. If your not going to uses them to raise and lower the car. If you want to ride nice just go with a softer spring.

21. hooligan909

hooligan909
    from San Diego!

allso since he is using are bags i dont think he is trying to be traditional.... so really no need to give him shit about how they "didnt do it back then"

22. dirt

dirt

i wasn't giving him shit. its my opinion. im sure everyone has one. mines no more important than his. but the question was asked on a traditional web site. think about it.

23. hooligan909

hooligan909
    from San Diego!

ahhh so this is a "traditional" website? hmmmm not trying to sound like an ass im new i really wanna know....

24. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Those two words should not be in the same sentence

25. dirt

dirt

let me clairify something before people start getting their panties in a bunch. the 3 coupes posted are very nice cars. when i said they were wrong i meant they are not true traditional cars. not that they are f'd up or anything like that. i meant no disrespect to the owners of the cars or anyone else for that matter. like i said its just my opinion. lets lighten up guys.

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yes, it's a traditional web site. Sometimes, we let some stuff slide. This is one of those times.

There is a double standard. I like it that way.

Opinions are cool.

27. I don't care for bags on a Hotrod. Just because I don't like it when you see a guy pull up in a bitchin Hotrod,then he lets out the air. Ruins it for me. I'm alot less criticle of Customs with bags. Even though I won't have them on mine...

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

For me, it depends on the car... I have bags on the front of my '38 and I love them. I have bags on Marcie's wagon and they are pretty cool - car rides wonderfully. Obviously, I would never bag the model-a coupe.

Lately, I've been really feeling something down deep... I want to simplify my life. I really like my model-a... It's simple. Nothing complicated. No crazy bad ass motor like the '38. No fancy a/c or OD tranny or bags or... everything else the wagon has... I like simple... maybe I'm getting old.

I want a late 30's ford sedan... lowered traditionally with juice brakes and maybe a pepped up flatty... simple.

Sorry.. ranted.

29. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

I'm not sure Ala Kart can be considered traditional.I think at the time it was supposed to be futuristic.

30. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

I love "air bags", I would rather call them air springs; air bags are in later model steering wheels and dashes. I have air springs on my 3800lb full bodied car but I don't see a reason on a 2500lb-ish Model A. ???
    cdeklavs: how about explaining the thought & reason behind wanting/needing them so it can help folks recommend proper type of air spring or if it really that necessary.

Marty McFly