Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A/'32 Headlight switch housing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alumcantandthd, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Question; Is there any way to remove and replace "successfully" the contact plate/spring that is in the back part of the headlight switch housing, which is located on the bottom of the steering box? Has ANYone on here ever done it before?

I want chrome plate the 'bail' rod and both of the housing pieces. But that contact plate and spring is pressed in somehow, I do not see how to remove it, 'then get it back in to work properly'.
    Here is a picture of what I 32 headlight switch 1.jpg 32 Headlight switch 2.jpg am talking about. Thanks.

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

remove and replace the rivets after its chromed

3. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Manyolcars hit it on the head we have done it a few times

4. Thanks. Can you guys explain in a little more detail please? I do not see how grinding the rivets and seperating the housing part that slides up into the steering box, from the housing part that holds the contact points will let the contact points 'fall out'? 'Looking' straight down into the housing, it 'looks' like there are 'finger's(?) bent around a 'flair'(?) that is holding the points in place. With a spring underneath the points to let them 'float' while being turned by the horn button thumb switch.
    Not saying that I am crosseyed in one eye and can't piss out of the other, but I'm not 'seeing' what you are describing.
    Thanks

5. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

Yes as you describe. Be gentle bending the tabs. Note the orientation of the contact plate before removing.
    Don’t drill the rivets out.
    Good original switches are hard to find. New ones don’t have tall enough brass buttons.