Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical modal a /47 ford car steering sector

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 410merc, Feb 28, 2016.

1. 410merc

410merc

hi guys , forgive me if I sound stupid but this is my first time messing with a steering sector , here is my question I am building a modal a tudor 1930 so far I have a 32 ford axle and 47 ford spindals ,well the car that I got the spindals out of had such a nice colum and sector so I got that also so could I use the sector and colum it came out of a 47 ford car , thanks guys

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

you dont say what motor you will use, but it sure would be easier to go with a traditional parallel drag link style steering box. your 47 is cross steer, and you may not have clearance for the drag link to go across the oil pan, and the box itself will most likely not clear any v8 heads/exaust. you can however use your 47 tube and steering wheel on most any ford box. spindles are fine, just cut off the extra cross steer hole if you dont go that route

410merc likes this.
  3. Here is a couple photos, don't know if they will help ya. This is a test fit of a 40 box in my Model A frame with a Flat Motor.
    December 2012 003.jpg
    You can see the Ford mount plate is just clamped in place while I checked for exhaust room and steering link angle. To get what I wanted it ended up here.
    P1010199.JPG
    You can see the Pitman arm between the bottom of frame rail and above the redieus rod. All is well with the Cross Steer.
    The Wizzard

F&J and 410merc like this.
  4. 410merc

410merc

I was thinking of using a small block chevy

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

there ya go ! we see anything is possible. i still think, traditional parallel drag link would be easier, and keep in mind f100 boxes use the same guts as your 47 so if yours has nice parts you can build a good one from two. nice work, piston broke

410merc likes this.
  6. 410merc

410merc

yes I think the tradional steering would be a lot easier , I do have a sector and colum from a 57 ford f100 but it doesn't have a pitman arm its kind of a big sector ,would something like that work?

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

lots of guys machine the big f100 sector shaft down on the end so it fits the frame hole, and then mill the end square to take a model A pitman arm

410merc likes this.
  8. 410merc

410merc

the sector housing is so big , how does a person get to fit in the frame rails , that looks to be my biggest problem

9. rusty valley

rusty valley

you say its a 57 box? seems to me the ones people like are 53 to 56? some one here will tell. a picture would help. IF its the right box, they are not too big, just the big mounting flange will scare you away. several ways to do it. bishop tardel method, cut the end off a model a box and weld it to the f100, or some just grind off the big 3 bolt flange, true the remaining housing, and make a mounting flange to fit you frame and weld it up. i always have better luck with google searches, try f100 model a hamb at google, and i'll bet lots of details for installing. good luck

410merc likes this.
  10. 410merc

410merc

boy thankyou for the info , just the tips about the mounting flange and pitman arm that helped so much , thanks again