Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mockup....Project WARPIG...........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Jan 5, 2008.

1. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

i'm gonna make a sketch of littleman strapped into that ride flying down the strip, i'll have it up tomorrow! hehe

2. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

little do you guys know Dave has been putting engines inside his cars since High school..

you lost it and I love it...

post pix of the car from high school!!!

3. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

Ok, OK, Ill admit it. I lost my head just a little.
    I have been known too piss away some time and money away, and to be frank "I enjoyed it".
    I think its like the "Love-is-Blind" thing. I spent 15 years racing stock cars and i dont even want to think about the money and hours spent. After a couple years off to get 2 young children settled, it makes it kind of tough go back and do it. Thats why i spend my time on my street cars. At least i wont have to fiberglass the fenders back together after every Saturday night.

I have friends and family that cant understand how i can spend a long day and work into the night hammering away on a piece of rust.
    therapy..................
    Yah, I guess the 200 mile an hour dream is the same thing!

Good Luck and keep us posted! Ill be watching.
    Oh, when you want to swap the 32 for an A bone let me know:rolleyes:

4. tattfrog

tattfrog

I know that this is a little off topic,But can you post a picture of the black truck with the yellow windows,I'm looking for some idea's for a project of mine.Thank 's and the new project will be as bitchin as the rest.Im looking forward to all the new post's.
    Tattfrog

5. T-Roy

T-Roy

Bitchin'! Can't wait to see the updates on this one...

6. JimSibley

JimSibley

You can be sure if littleman does it, IT Will Rule.

7. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Okay.
    I hate to be the only guy not in love with this project, but why?

if a mid engine car is the plan...why a coupe? It has all the aerodynamic qualities of a refridgerator. Sooo many options are avalible.

if you are looking for fast...why not run the engine up front to give yourself some chassis tunability... as it sits, you either get to go direct drive , or run a driveshaft so short that a *minor* change in pinion angle will either equal victory or broken stuff.

if it is shock factor...Littleman, you can (and have ) do better.

strictly drag race? or is this supposed to be streetable?

Bro, I love your work...but I don't see the point.

8. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

The Death's Doorstep wasn't enough? OK then, go for it... :)

--mika

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

10. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

LUX BLUE, all valid questions, ''Why a Coupe?'' I just thought it would be more of a challenge than a Roadster, although I would like to find a Roadster and mock it up....I just love Coupes....My buddy told me to just build a dragster...''Its alot easier'' he said,he builds them,and I agree, the layout is all figured out for you ,theirs not much you can do to one, they are built today pretty much all the same because of rules which you need...Its all dictated to you and drawn out......and when I have walked the pits filled w/ todays modern front engine diggers ,once you looked at one you have seen them all pretty much...I love the old ones, but you are extremly limited to where you can run one.....Besides I would build one way too short and they would have a hissy fit...

The rearend will be solid mounted for this will be strictly a Drag Race peice, no chassis adjustment and will share very similar characteristics as a digger...I will be using a shorty-glide, would love to run just a clutch can, but am trying to race in todays times and need a reverse and the can will only give me high gear...I have looked into many things and configurations to get the engine back further..From transaxles to chain drive,v-drives ect....As of now it is further forward than I would like, but ya never know the solution can be just around the corner...I listen to all ideas..

My only reason to build such a car........Is simple...stuff like this was built years ago when drag racing was thriving and growing.....its the time period that I personally love, and wish I could have been a young buck building something fresh and new and unleashing on the track...I have always gravitated towards these odd ball cars.....just as one likes the old diggers of yesteryear....I love these....I think it would be kool to see something like this pull up to the line..snorting....

someone asked me why I am calling it WARPIG....Well that goes back to my 82nd Airborne days.....If you been in the service and gone through basic training..You know as you run for PT you have to sing cadence as you run, which builds your cardio even greater..In the 82nd we ran alot, we ran everywhere....because as a paratrooper you had to be in great shape...I went through basic training with like 35 guys in my platoon, then we all went to jump shool together and where all put into the same Battalion in the 82nd at Ft. Bragg.....So we already had friends when we got to Division which is rare.....I remember our first run with our Company, and as we ran they pulled different guys out to the side to sing the cadence..That was something none of newbies ever had to do not to mention we had not heard that much cadence as of yet....out of the new guys they pulled me out first, I was horrified but survived by singing what we sang in basic..Then they pulled out Private Cerverizzo, one of my friends from our group, I could see horror in his eyes..I knew his mind went blank as mine did when asked to do this....He loved music and had hundreds of cassete tapes in his room and was always jamming to music........So we are all running and they are sreaming at him to sing...So he sings what he knows...Generals gather in their masses...just like witches at black masses....Evil minds that plot Destruction.....Sorcerers of deaths contsruction..He goes on to sing the whole thing....I had never actually heard this song before, and to hear over a hundred guys running and singing it as a cadence, well I have never forgotten that moment.........Well that was long winded, but the only way I could describe it.sorry for wasting your time......Littleman

Evel
    This is my 68 Chevelle from High School, you can see the vent window up top as a reference.........

[​IMG]

11. Rusty

Rusty

Man i though that was just a motor sitting in a car. Totally dont understand the build now. Did not realize you actually wanted the motor to sit there

Oh well Good luck I know you will pull it off. I am just thankful you sold the 32 and opted for the Model a on this one

Rusty

12. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

Littleman, this is gonna be the coolest...its the 60's experimental attitude in 2008...something young 23 year olds like me never got to witness...at all!:eek:

I totally see your vision, and support it, i to woulda been ''one of those'' if i was living in the 60s...cant wait to the next batch of photos littleman.

P.S

It would be even cooler with a 32 :D

13. drflex

drflex

P.S

It would be even cooler with a 32 :D[/quote]

yea, I think so too.. sell me that A body and get you one of those $2500 glass glue together '32 bodys, dzus fasten the door and trunk skins on put a round tube frame in the body and make it tilt to the rear...damn i'm eat up with it too..maybe, i need to build a racecar.

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man I share the love for A's, 32's are nice and If I had the $$ and found a nice 5 window I would think seriously about it but the 30-31 just look meaner to me.
    Cant wait to see that come along, first thing I thought of when I saw that pic was Speed-Sport the Coupe! Love that car.
    I built a 30 coupe model very much like your project some years ago, chopped the hell out of it but went for a lakes car instead. Damn thing got stolen at a contest!!

15. Kanadia Kev

Kanadia Kev

16. k55f5r

k55f5r
    from SoCal

Just like a speedboat is a hole in the water that you throw money into,
    HotRodding is like a precision built 55 gallon drum that you burn money in.
    [​IMG]

17. klazurfer

klazurfer

Littleman ... You are CRAZY , .. In a good way :):):):)
    Klaz

18. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

Dave you make me very happy. I look forward to this build.

19. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

I dig this the most. My only unsolicited suggestion would be to make the roof insert out of tinted plexiglass to match the windows. I've already got your tow vehicle all figured out...

[​IMG]

Satan, laughing, spreads his wings...

20. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Anyone have pics of the Dickie Flippen '32 Chevy Coupe from Rodder's Journal #33? It might clear up some of the doubts people are expressing about a mid-engined drag coupe. Littleman, you rock my world.

21. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

[​IMG]..and you'll have to gear up the system for sounds too..

22. elcornus

elcornus

I've been pondering the feasability of this car for days, then the rock crawling side of my brain kicked in:rolleyes:

Heres a couple shots of a drawing I did in autocad, just messing around with an Idea I thought of;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the 3rd offset, the trans just has to clear the 3" axle tube.
    It feeds the transfer case just like stock,and drives the rearend as if it were the stock frontend, and just lets the stock rear output spin(same shaft) freely.

In 4wd High range, it's GEARED 1:1, and there's some tough as hell transfer cases and front 3rd's out there the rock-crawler guys are using and abusing, so I think it has a chance against breakage with that blown hemi.

http://www.atlas-tc.com/

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/categoriesre.aspx?id=1119

Thoughts??

23. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Elcornus Thanks for the reply!!!!.........I have drawn up ideas similiar to this, only difference is the style of rearend and I did not find the Atlas transfer case setups in my search......I will call them tomarrow to get some measurements from them....I have drawn up a similiar set up but w/ a Cassel v-drive and looked into them....even drawn up ideas with the trans mounted along the side of the engine with a tranfercase in front and building a really offset center section..........Again thanks for the input.........This is really going to happen.....Littleman

24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Seems like the obvious choice, but ... have you considered a Toronado transaxle? They are tough as hell, the Hairy Olds had a pair of them and they held up fine.

Also, I've seen a setup where the rear axle and engine were locked together on a common subframe, and that subframe had a suspension seperate from the rest of the car. No pinion angle changes (they can get severe with such a short driveshaft).

One thing I like about your builds, they aren't like anyone else's and frankly aren't "traditional" at all - it's the THINKING that goes into them that is "traditional". Keep up the good work.

25. Jay71

Jay71

"Evil minds that plot destruction!"

26. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Oh ya, I have looked into many transaxles from corvair to porche to the Tornonado's to the high buck offroad dune buggy stuff, I think they are using Mendola ?.....even the used stuff is too pricey, especially the stuff that will handle real power.....even drew up some chain drive setups and belt...it would be like a giant go-cart then......even sketch some of my own transfer cases, your only redirecting the power.....have machines can make chips......Thanks Littleman

27. elcornus

elcornus

If you call advanced adapters, the makers of the Atlas T-case, ask for Lisa Linker, tell her Eric Cornelison, (the guy who help her ex-husband build his red iron shop), refered you to her for some info.

I don't know if she's still with them, but if she is, she's got the knowledge to help you.
    [​IMG]

Plus she's cute!

28. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Very cool. I always like the unusal hot rods. I built a GT40 replica using a reversed corvair transaxle. Not nearly strong enough for your application.

Other ideas might be the T56 transaxle from a C5 Corvette like this Camaro example.

[​IMG]

Or a ZF transaxle like from a Pantera like this example in a Bug.

[​IMG]

Porsche also has some really strong transaxles.

Ricardo makes the transaxles for the Ford GT, but I suspect those are a bit pricey.

The 1960's Pontiac Tempest used a front drive transaxle that is really "short".

Mike

29. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Hmmm, maybe I am thinking of a Toronado and not a Tempest.

Littleman, nothing is impossible.

Attached Files:

30. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What the hell is that thing from? I wanna know more!:eek: