Register now to get rid of these ads!

mobile welder coming tomorrow...quick dumb question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paintman27, May 30, 2012.

1. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

Looks like your welder/weldor/welding operator did a great job on your chassis.

Just to clear up the welder/weldor argument

per the American Welding Society, AWS A3.0 "Standard Welding Terms and Definitions"

Welder: One who performs manual or semi-automatic welding

There is not a definition for weldor.

Welding machine: equipment used to perform the welding operation

2. nutajunka

nutajunka

I was amused at what alot of guys said about stick welding. Before migs became as common as refrigerators in almost every household most guys used stick and got really good at it. I was very good at it also, until working with migs spolied me. I could weld a bead and wait a few minutes and watch the slag just pop off, no chipping with a hammer. But anyway to make a long story short I know this guy and to this day all he uses is stick. When he was younger he took welding in high school in a FFA class, remember them? He went on to compete in the state finals and won the state championship and still to this day he can lay a bead like nobody and he doesn't really even try, and he doesn't do it for a living. He will usually hold his helmet in one hand and the stick in the other, me on the other hand need a auto darkening helmet and one hand to hold my welding hand from tremors that retired me early.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  3. Most of my welding experience is with my Lincoln 225 amp welder that I bought new in 1982. I can lay down a good bead, but have to practice since I don't weld that much now.

One guy I knew, had this old garbage-picked industrial welder he grabbed for the copper inside. Heavy as a mofo and came on a cart. Gets it home, I was there. He wires a plug onto it and has me stand by the breaker in case it goes bad... the thing fires up and he does a couple of welds on some scrap... no doubt the smoothest welder I have ever seen. That welder went on to weld up some great stock cars, but this guy was probably the best of the best stick welders I have ever seen. 100% of my welds on stock cars were done with a stick welder and had to pass a NASCAR tech inspection, so it does have its place.

Bob

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That is the source to be sure.
    It looks like he did a decent job on the welding for you. He probably used 7018 as he did it with stick.

I could be wrong but it appears that most of the welds have been smoothed out-dressed with a grinder.

I know some people prefer to do that prior to painting, I will do it myself sometimes, but in some cases I prefer to see a nice smooth consistent weld showing instead.

Sometimes a weld dressed off with a grinder is a result of a less than skillful or less than acceptable or pretty weld to begin with.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Nay sayers will line up clear to the door but one of my buddies welded anything and everything for years using a 110V Miller Sidekick. He had to make multiple passes quite often but the welds have held up for years and that includes his wrecker boom and a good number of subframe jobs. It isn't just the machine but the welder operating the machine. You also have to have full amperage to the machine. If you have to hook it to an extension cord make sure that the extension cord is up to the task. Also the wiring in the garage has to be able to handle the task.

6. Not sure why you would show that picture - the only think I see that is remotley welding related would be the lettering in your back window ......:confused:
    Since it appears all the welds have been ground down, we still don't know if he did a good job or not :D

7. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Hey, My welder can beat up your weldor.:D

8. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

My torch will cut up your welder then with a simple tip change, weld it back together. Plus gas welding is traditional.