Register now to get rid of these ads!

MO state inspection for old vehicles ?'s (KC)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bwiencek, Oct 11, 2005.

  1. bwiencek
    Joined: Aug 30, 2005
    Posts: 322


    Ok - I'm wanting to get my newly acquired project - a 1950 ford F2 truck "inspected" so I can get a title issued before I start to spend any money on it. I've got a clear title so that's not the problem - It's just got cracked side glass (which I have replacements) and the back window is removed (for paint), the gauge cluster is out. It starts, runs, drives, has good (looks to be new?) brakes, and the headlight and horn works - it's got the single tail light (stock), but has had a turn signal installed on the colum but not wired up - am I going to be able to "pass"? Or if someone knows a place that I could take it to that knows about old cars/projects in SE KC - PM me.... I just have a fear of driving up to the local service station and them telling me I need blinkers, two tail lights, dash, etc....

    Anyone have expierence in this stuff??
  2. SpeedRacer2002
    Joined: Jan 11, 2002
    Posts: 777


    hey man i can probably get a buddy up here to inspect it for ya the way it is.
  3. raven
    Joined: Aug 19, 2002
    Posts: 3,987


    Remove the turn signal lever. If it didn't have it when it was manufactured, then you usally won't need to have it. But if you show up with it in there, they will require you to have it working.
    Side windows?
    Roll them down.
    Make sure the winshield wipers at least turn on.
    You should be ok.
  4. Orange54
    Joined: Mar 6, 2004
    Posts: 795

    from Missouri

    Proof of Insurance
    Proof you paid your property taxes

    No inspection needed for Historic plates. Drive it like that until you get it ready for a daily driver. Then you can get a real inspection. I've done two vehicles like this.

    It's crazy. No inspection and you can legally drive an old car in Missouri.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

  5. bwiencek
    Joined: Aug 30, 2005
    Posts: 322


    Check, Check, Check - Dang you mean it's that easy! How about if the title is from out of state? do they require a VIN check inspection?? If that's the case then I'll be driving the heap around to get a list of what else it needs once I figure out why it's not charging (even though the PO said he got it working, but that's another post once I have more information...)

    - Brian
  6. atch
    Joined: Sep 3, 2002
    Posts: 4,071


    yeah, if it's got an out of state title they insist on a vin inspection. it doesn't even have to run. if you can't get it to a bonafied inspection station call the highway patrol and they will set up an appointment to send someone out and do the vin inspection. 'course any inspection station can do the same thing. just tell them all you want is the vin inspection. the highway patrol didn't charge me anything to come to me; i think you'll have to pay the regular inspection fee at an inspection station.
  7. I had the title transfered for my 52 Chevy truck to me without an inspection. I just couldn't get plates. If you just needed to feel safe about owning it before spending money on it, they'll take care of you. At least they did for me in Columbia, MO.
  8. Kevin Lee
    Joined: Nov 12, 2001
    Posts: 7,387

    Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

    I used a Kansas title and they asked for NO VIN verification whatsoever. AND I was told you will need an initial inspection to get historic plates.

    I just walked into the DMV with legal pad and pencil, stood in line and asked questions. "Excuse me, I have an old car I want to register and I want to make sure I have everything in order before I come back to get my plates." My list consisted of: TITLE, INSURANCE, and INSPECTION.

    Came back in a week after getting it inspected and walked out with plates.
    BigDogSS likes this.
  9. Mootz
    Joined: Jul 20, 2004
    Posts: 945


    DMV told me that it would take something like months to get the actual historic plates. That was my plan until I heard this. Took my title to the inspection station with no truck and walked out with the inspection papers. I put a case of beer in their fridge and was on the road with real plates. Good luck. Check the mileage restrictions with the historic plates. My buddy got pulled over so the Highway Patrol could check his mileage log. I guess they really do check.

  10. JimC
    Joined: Dec 13, 2002
    Posts: 2,220

    from W.C.,Mo.

    I have had some experience in this matter.

    Call the DVM and the clerk will tell you what steps to take.

    There is no inspection required if you apply for Historic Vehicle plates.

    I had my plates of my 62 while the frame was out of it, the body was resting on blocks , and the other parts were in a rental storage unit.

    You will need proof of financial liability (insurance) and the title filled out with the sellers name, date of purchase, and purchase amount.

    (if there is no purchase price on the title, write something believable in the space provided) (You did not hear that from me)

    The clerk will register the title, charge you the fees for title application and registration, and provide you with a Historic Vehicle plate application.
    You will need to fill out the historic plate application, write a check for the $25.50, and send it along to Jefferson City with the t Pink slip and the copy of proof of insurance. You will be required to have the Historic Vehicle plate application notorized, but most banks provide a notoray service for small or no cost.

    In about 2 to 4 weeks you will recieve your plates and documents you sent.

    This is a one time deal (plates are good for as long as you own the vehicle) unless you want vanity or personalized historic plates. Those will require you to send a $15.00 fee in annually.

  11. Orange54
    Joined: Mar 6, 2004
    Posts: 795

    from Missouri

    I've done it twice in the last few years. Most recently last November.

    If you go to the Truman Building in Jefferson City and have the title, insurance, and property tax receipt you can walk out with the plates.

    While in town come by my place and have a cold one. Or a cup of Joe if you like.

    It's that easy.

  12. bwiencek
    Joined: Aug 30, 2005
    Posts: 322


    Excellent info - I'll probably just drive up to the local shop and try and get the inspection - or at least a VIN inspection then go to the DMV with the paperwork. I really don't need plates "now" so if they take a couple of weeks that's fine with me.

    Thanks for all the help / suggestions!
  13. Slick_Dee
    Joined: Aug 25, 2016
    Posts: 1


    Apologies for reviving a dead thread, but I've been experiencing a similar dilemma and could use some help. I'm relatively new to Missouri, and am not too familiar with the DMV laws and regulations here. I purchased a '68 Dodge Dart as a project car with a Michigan title. Clear title and all. The car doesn't run or drive, and had the interior including seats gutted by the previous owner.

    When I went to the DMV in St Louis County, I was told that for a classic car all I needed was the title and a bill of sale to transfer the title as is. If I wanted to register and plate it, I would need a VIN and Odometer inspection as well. I went ahead and did the ID/OD inspection as well and then returned to the DMV. This time they said no can do, I need to get a safety inspection since it is an out of state title. Frustrated, I asked about just transferring the title so I can scrap the car and be done with it. The lady told me I would still have to get a safety inspection to scrap the car...

    I don't know if I am dealing with a clueless employee (it was the same woman both times), or if the registration requirements have changed a great deal since this thread was active 11 years ago. Any help guys?
  14. WZ JUNK
    Joined: Apr 20, 2001
    Posts: 1,557

    from Neosho, MO

    To my knowledge and experience all you need is the id/od statement and the title. I would go back to the license agent and ask for a supervisor. Sometimes the regular counter people are not knowledgeable when it comes to special situations. I titled a Michigan 1934 Chevy truck in Missouri last fall and all I needed was the id/od and the Michigan title.

  15. bwiencek
    Joined: Aug 30, 2005
    Posts: 322


    Having done several now - all I can say is go to a different office... I don't know why but if you go to 5 different offices you'll get 5 different answers... Not the answer you're wanting but that's what I've found.

    I had a title that someone started writing in their name in the 'buyers' section, got barely a letter and a half in and realized the mistake then scratched it out and put it in the sellers name and then filled out the rest. I knew it was going to be an issue but really what can you do - took it to the local DMV I normally use and they said I'd have to go back (almost 70 miles each way), have them fill out for a duplicate title,bring it in, wait weeks until it comes in then go have them sign it and fill it out again... Lots of time, waiting, and getting cooperation from the seller - in the mean time I couldn't do anything with it... Took the exact paperwork to the cheaper neighborhood and was the respectful cleanest cut guy in there and they looked at it, could figure out what happened then shrugged and just did the paperwork and I walked out with plates....
  16. Nostrebor
    Joined: Jun 25, 2014
    Posts: 595


    You do not need a safety inspection for a title transfer. You will need one for plates. Try a different license office.

    You can also pull the state statutes from the internet and take a copy for their education if needed... but it tends to lose you the popularity contest win.
  17. Leevon
    Joined: Oct 5, 2009
    Posts: 391

    from Nixa, MO

    If they give you any more trouble get an ID/OD, that's all they can ask for on a title transfer and it does not require and safety verification.

    Friday last week I went down to my favorite license office to title a car. I always start by filling out a favorable comment card (they have a contest) and asking for the girls name, filling it in and handing it to her. She was impressed by the neatness of my paperwork. I got in an out quickly. It wasn't until I got all the way back to the office that I realized I hadn't done my safety inspection (I'm a shop) or given her the slip. She didn't ask LOL. Smoke and mirrors!
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  18. porknbeaner
    Joined: Sep 12, 2003
    Posts: 40,741


    To title it, it doesn't have to pass safety inspection.

    If it is an out of state car it will need an ID/OD inspection. It is old enough to be out of the OD part so they will put NA in the odometer section of the inspection and all that they need to find is the numbers on the title. Any inspection place can do the ID inspection or you can make an appointment and take it to the state patrol in Lee's Summit. At either place you may have to show them the numbers.

    If it has a Missouri title just go pay your sales tax and change the title to your name.
  19. Stickupguy
    Joined: Nov 9, 2018
    Posts: 2


  20. Stickupguy
    Joined: Nov 9, 2018
    Posts: 2


    I have a very old Volkswagen (as Volkswagens go) that has only one tail light.

    Actually it has two in one container, called a Notech light.

    One is red and used as the running light and the other is amber and is the brake light.

    This is like a lot of the prewar US vehicles used.

    I have seen several post war Fords and Chevrolets station wagons all the way up to about 1952 with only one tail light as factory delivered.
    1949 Chevrolet deluxe Wagon For Sale-Barn Find

    1949 Chevrolet deluxe Wagon For Sale-Barn Find- original purchase order!!

    I remember that we had a 1956 Chevy pick-up truck with only one tail light.

    You had to pay extra for two tail lights and extra for a rear bumper.

    If you did not have turn signal lights, you had to stick your arm out the window and use one of three different gestures to say what you wanted to do.

    It was on the drivers test.

    The area where the tail lights would be on a later model VW is smooth.

    The tail/stop/ license are all in this one canister.

    It also has four small green lights that are used as a distance gauge when in a military convoy.

    The last time the vehicle was registered was in 1972.

    It has semaphores in the door post that are the autos turn signals.

    I might be able to convince a private inspector to give me a inspection certificate, but I know that some where their is an eager beaver cop that will want to collect some money from me about not having two tail lights.

    I have found the code numbers for the part of the law that says that you must have two tail lights that would be used against me but does any one know how to find the section that says an old auto once sold does not have to have parts added to them.

    A lot like not having seat belts in pre 1966 autos.

    If I had to add lights to the car it would crash its antique value.

    How would someone with a 1949 Chevy with only tail light handle being stopped by the police.

    I am going to need to have proof on paper for when that happens that the light situation allowed.

    I want to get a regular vehicle license so I can drive it anytime and anywhere.

    I live in Missouri so the laws numbers have to be for that state.

    Hopefully some one has had experience with this situation and would pass it along.

    Big Thanks !
  21. WZ JUNK
    Joined: Apr 20, 2001
    Posts: 1,557

    from Neosho, MO

    I live in Missouri and I do not see a problem. There are many antique autos that are licensed here, that have one tail light and no turn signals at all. So you are up on them by having the semaphores. You would need to rewire the tail light so that the red is the stop light though as I think the amber stop light would be a problem.

    Try to find an inspected station that works on special interest autos, or look for one that has mechanics who drive older vehicles. Those guys will be more understanding. If you were near me, I could make some suggestions.

    As far as law enforcement goes, you are on your own. If you get stopped and ticketed for a light, you will probably need to go to traffic court and sort it out before a judge. I have driven these types of vehicles in Missouri for over 55 years and I have never been stopped for a problem like the ones you have questions about.

  22. CoolYourJets
    Joined: Dec 16, 2016
    Posts: 171


    Sorry, you lost me at Volkswagen

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2013 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.