Register now to get rid of these ads!

mmmmm....Black Lacquer. thanks, TP.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D Picasso, Sep 26, 2003.

1. D Picasso

D Picasso

I love black lacquer. I'm painting a bike with it- some smaller parts I've already done with Duplicolor rattlecan lacquer, which works just fine, by the way- but needed more for the tank and fender.
    since there aren't a lot of places to obtain such out here, TP stepped up and sent me a quart of Duracryl.

I painted my first car with Du Pont BL and even though my driveway application looked to have been sprayed through something you'd use to coat donuts at Winchell's, it all sanded and polished so nice and smooth it made the final finish worth the work.

getting this can in the mail today made me feel kinda like I was 15 again and I was just getting started. thanks, Terry.

2. laquer has such a bad rap for its duability,, and that is really to bad,,

the stuff is so easy to shoot, can be done outdoors, and nothing comes close to the "look"

god i miss the smell of laquer in the morning [​IMG]

bob

3. Bugman

Bugman

I aquired almost 40 gallons on lacquer for my Autobody classes. It's great for the students to learn with cause it sprays so nice.

-Jeff Tanko
    Evansville High School

4. lownslow

lownslow

yeah lacquer is next to impossible to get here in california. though if anyone is interested i have metal flake brand acrylic lacquer clear that i was going to list in the classifieds..i have like 20 gallons of it .....though i wouldnt be able to ship it someone would have to pick it up .....lemme know if anyone id interested.......nothin like a hand rubbed lacquer job .....and its much easier than urethanes.......sorry to hi-jack your thread.....carry on

5. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah lacquer is next to impossible to get here in california. though if anyone is interested i have metal flake brand acrylic lacquer clear that i was going to list in the classifieds..i have like 20 gallons of it .....though i wouldnt be able to ship it someone would have to pick it up .....lemme know if anyone id interested.......nothin like a hand rubbed lacquer job .....and its much easier than urethanes.......sorry to hi-jack your thread.....carry on

[/ QUOTE ]

$?

6. av8

av8

The government-orchestrated restrictions that have all but sounded the death knell of lacquer is one of the worst pieces of big-brotherism foisted on the-rod and custom-car movement.

Lacquer wasn't targeted because it killed or maimed or debillitated. It's crime was that it empowered young people to do some first-rate work and bring their visions to successful fruition with information passed from one practitioner to the next. The mysteries of lacquer finishing was tribal lore employed at its very best.

Nine, ten years ago I wrote a series about the use of contemporary automotive finishes -- a reality piece in that the old ways were all but gone, thanks to the demise of the old materials, and rodders were going to have to get used to if not altogether cozy with the new order. The introductory paragraphs to the series summed up what was lost to us . . .

"When old rodders begin reminiscing and pining for the good old days, you can count on the subject of paint being part of that reverie. Things used to be so easy. When you were ready to graduate from suede to shiny the only decision to make had to do with color. That it was going to be nitrocellulose lacquer was a given. There wasn't anything better than a 10-coat lacquer job, unless it was a 20-, 30-, or 40-coat lacquer job. The number of coats was directly related to the quality of the finish. At least that was the popular belief at the time. Never mind that most of the lacquer wound up on the driveway during the many hours of color sanding.

"Seriously, and quite honestly, old nitro was pretty great stuff for young rodders. It could be shot outdoors without a lot of expensive equipment and hardly any experience, mistakes could be corrected immediately, and the stuff thrived on youthful energy during color sanding and rubout.

"What's often forgotten is that it had to be rubbed again and again at frequent intervals to maintain its luster, and coin-size chips--all the way to the bone--were the inevitable result of airborne gravel and sharp objects striking the surface. On the plus side again, damage was easy to repair, and Spring paint tune-ups were a common part of the ritual for many rodders. . ."

There's no question that the acrylic lacquers were not quite as benign as wonderful old nitro whose use produced little more than a pleasant high that just heightened the painting experience. At times, usually after a full-car spray, it would generate a whopper of a next-day headache, but it was usually gone by noon.

Gawd, I miss it!

7. lownslow

lownslow

drj........55 bucks per gallon.....its brand new.......i paid more than that plus shipping when i got it ........email me and lemme know if you want some or know someone who does.....

8. daddylama

daddylama

speakin of lacquer...
    anyone know the average shelf life of it?

i came across a guy who's got a couple gallons, unopened, of exactly what i was lookin for... but he's had it sittin in his barn for 10+ years. Says it's still liquid...
    does it go bad?

9. lownslow

lownslow

dude it will last for ever as long as it is sealed and didnt get really hot......as long as it is liquid you should be golden .i had some stuf from the 60 s that i used and it was still good ......

10. D Picasso

D Picasso

I see that nitrocellulose lacquer is still used in guitar and violin making...apparently it's a great- sounding finish!

11. Lefty

Lefty

Wow TP, you ARE the man. Got any of that old ass Murano Pearl around?

av8: Nice words on the demise of the old lacquer. Nothing like that Best of Show with 36 coats of clear.