Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical mixing hot spark with oldschool looks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by revkev6, Dec 1, 2017.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

hey guys, I've got a couple of the old flat cap mallory distributors for sbc's one is on my 283 and the other is probably going to get converted to a flathead unless I find a decent deal on core for a flathead. I'm currently running one of the newer mallory units with points and coil on the flathead in my roadster. I'm contemplating switching over these mallory flat caps to either electronic pickups or using the points to trigger a MSD box. both have pros and cons.

with the MSD box, if the electronics fails i can rewire it to run as a points ignition on the side of the road. but I have to hide the box.
    with an electronic ignition its clean looking and i can get as much spark power as the MSD units do but if it fails I'm stuck.

other things to consider:
    currently available points and condensers are no where near as reliable as they used to be.
    i need 7mm spiral core wires to use the flat top mallory with electronic ignition.. does anyone have experience with this combo?? I don't want to burn up a cap

I'm not uncomfortable with the points if they are quality units and work,. most times you aren't going to lose power on a street motor with a well adjusted points ignition over hotter spark. only REAL advantage I see is slightly easier startups and a rev limiter for "oops" moments. I've seen a fresh flat motor waste it's bearings because the throttle hung on initial start and over revved it.

thoughts, experience and pics of your setups would be greatly appreciated

2. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Had my Mallory dual point on my old flathead converted to a Pertronix unit and never looked back.

Pinstriper40 and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. 30panel

30panel

Who did your conversion ?

4. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I'm a big fan of the pertronix, ran it with an msd (hidden of course..shh) In a 356 back an forth across country, an up/down the West coast, But always had the points/condenser .. Just in case...

5. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I've converted some old Pontiac distributors over to pertronix kits in order to keep the original look and never had any problems.

Mallory used to make a very small spark intensifier box that worked great! Used it with a Mallory dual point and loved it. You didn't hold a plug wire too tightly if you cranked the motor cause it would jump and bite you. Might try to find one of those if possible. It was super easy to hide.

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Honestly I've run those flat cap Mallorys as is with good points and never had a problem. If it's mechanically sound I wouldn't hesitate to run it as is.

7. christmas tree

christmas tree

My flatty has a point dist. and a MSD box that I like very well. Points last a long time as all they are doing is triggering the MSD. It fires my flatty to 6000 and it would go a lot more. If you run dual points you take the trailing set out.

PhredH likes this.
  8. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

A local speed shop in Modesto Bell & Gaines they have an old distributor machine and a real knowledgeable person to use it. Converted it and dialed in the mechanical advance to about 22-24 max degrees. Don’t own the flattie anymore but it’s still running perfect with the current owner

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. 30panel

30panel

Thanks. Here I go again if it ant broke don't fix it, runs great now. But I have a nice Mallory that I'd
    like to convert to Pertronix. Thanks for the reference.
    Mike

10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m using a 4 lobe Mallory with an MSD box behind the firewall . It is great so far. Because the dist. only has 4 lobes you need both sets of points, but they only trigger the box and the box operates the coil. There is small current across the points and thus low wear. I don’t use a condenser, which is the biggest headache with a points ignition today. The Pertronix is good also.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

On my Ford motors I use a factory Duraspark system that a points cap and wires can be used so it looks old and I can get parts everywhere if the need arrives.

Attached Files:

deathrowdave likes this.
  12. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I forgot to mention in my original post that I already have a 6al box... so one conversion is free... Probably go box...

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. squirrel

squirrel

Just how hot of a spark do you need? I'm going pretty darn quick, with a mallory dual point and stock coil and stock plug wires on a blown 427. No electronics needed.

But if you just like putting that modern stuff in there, for no real reason, go for it.

14. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran another Mallory, like I have now, in the 80s with good result and no electronics. I’m trying to save the few points sets I have left. The stuff is hard to find.

15. The Mallory dual point in my RPU has a Pertronix module in it. Got tired of having to pull the blower to fiddle with the points. Starts better, and runs better. 8 years, so far, no problems.

16. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Hey squirrel as I posted originally it's not really about hot spark as nothing I've ever seen shows that a flathead benefits from more than stock ignition when the curve is correct. My concern is that points and condensers are no longer a common item and they are becoming hard to find quality units. I have run points in my flathead for 25 years with no problems but my next motor I want to use something a little newer. I ran 6al boxes in my midget and was always amazed at the low to mid rpm spark. Made up for being a little off in tuning some nights and always smoothed out my restarts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

squirrel likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

Adding an MSD box to a point system will help the points last a long time, and you won't need to deal with having a condenser go bad.

I guess I've been lucky with the Mallory dual points...I have not actually had to buy any new points for them. A little filing occasionally, and I have a couple extra sets from other distributors that folks gave me.

18. Joe H

Joe H

Talking about mixing old with new, can you run the old style woven / wrapped with color chaser plug wires with HEI or other modern electronics? I have no radio or other electronics, and really like the look of the older plug wires. Will they make a light show under the hood?
    joe

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can't find good condensers, do what I do : Make your own! IMG_0738.JPG IMG_0977.JPG

I can make you some, too.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    chop job, squirrel and Max Gearhead like this.
  20. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I've seen those condensers!! look cool. it's not that we can't get the parts anymore, it's that condensers=capacitors and the problem there is that there has been a big problem getting high quality capacitors like they used to make.

21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just to be clear, we are building these condensers using modern Film Capacitors rated for "Severe Duty". These units are designed and built to function properly and survive under adverse conditions. This means older conventional ignition systems with generators and solid core plug wires and the attendant spurious voltage spikes. We have had these units in field test for two years. Early on, we had a couple of failures that allowed us to gain the knowledge required to improve this product to a very high level of reliability. I have been running these on my own vehicles during this time. We currently have available a .22 mfd unit that is suitable in most conventional ignition systems. We have also developed a .33 mfd unit to be used in early Ford distributors. I get $50 for the .22 mfd units and $65 for the .33 pieces. The reason for this price disparity is the much higher cost of the .33 mfd capacitor that will fit into our packaging and still meet our stringent requirements.

Anyone having any interest in these units can PM me here.

22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have done the same many times over . I used GM module under the dash with heat sink , works like a wet dream ! Almost as much fun !

wrenchbender likes this.
  23. SHARKO

SHARKO

I have run the stock Delco distributor in my 57 Olds for ever. The current points are NAPA Echlin and are years old. It starts and runs fine. But the fumes are a problem. My bride quit smoking and now she smells everything. And everything else has computerized odorless fuel injection. I haven't gone through the J2 carbs for 20 years and the rear one shows seepage so I know that's the place to start. But while the carbs are off the distributor is nicely exposed. We were somewhere west of Jasper, British Columbia and I walked into an auto parts store in a little town and asked them not to laugh but do you have a distributor cap for a 57 Olds. The guy says"do you want the cheap one or the good one?" So I hate to lose the points. But I need to lose the fumes. Your advice is appreciated.
    Pat