Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mixing bead roller die diameters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boulderdash, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Boulderdash

Boulderdash

Silly question perhaps, but what would the advantages and disadvantages be of mixing diameters of dies on a bead roller? In practical terms, does it make much difference? I imagine it would encourage a panel to curve due to the relative difference in circumferences. How would using a 3.5" tipping die against a 2" flat section die differ to using two equal 2.75" diameter dies.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If the shafts the rollers are mounted on are geared together (typical) you will have substantial friction on the work piece as the rollers are of different diameter and one or both will have to 'slip' as the work piece passes through, IF in fact it can be made to pass through.

If the bead roller shafts are NOT geared together (haven't seen that) then the work piece could move through though not as dependably as with both rollers moving in sync.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I agree, in that same diameter dies being geared together is what smoothly pushes or feeds the material through the dies.
    Different english wheel die diameters don't matter as your hands are pushing/pulling the metal through the dies. Far too much of a pinch factor when bead rolling to accurately hand push (vs geared cranking) material through free wheeling bead dies.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Boulderdash

Boulderdash

Thank you guys I think that's answered my question really. Yes my roller is geared. The reason I ask is I happened upon an old cast roller which I thought would work well as another form die, but its a smaller diameter so would need to make a larger tipping die to match.