Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Do not forget that units of work are units of force times units of displacement, or units of pounds x square inches in the case of a valve spring. And units of work are units of the transfer of energy, that is, they are units of energy.

So yes springs exert force. That tells you absolutely nothing. I have a spring in my hand right now, has force of F. How much potential and kinetic energy Units can I get out if it ? You know the force F . U = (A)(F)(x). And how would you express it.

When comparison of springs is made they could quote you the diameter, the wire size, the coil spacing and length in a free position maybe even a factor of force. Now all you want to know is two things. One is how tight will it hold your valve shut and how hard will it push back on the cam when its open. Get your calculator and start figuring pronto.

Or if all that calculation is done and stated in a term of energy contained in the spring, it needs to be called pressure. "Spring Pressure" is a term of energy, highly calculated yet easily compared from one to the next.

2. fsae0607

fsae0607

Square inches is Area. Work = Force x Displacement (in inches, ft, etc).

How it will hold your valve shut and how hard it will push back is determined by spring force, not pressure.

The equation for spring energy is:

E = 1/2 * K * X^2

where k = spring constant in (force/unit displacement)
    x = spring displacement

Nowhere is area (which is in length^2 units) mentioned.

3. Great, now state that force holding the valves shut in some common unit of comparison.

I think you would want to use pounds of force over the OD diameter of the spring.

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

it will buff out !!

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If the term "Spring Pressure" pisses you off. You are in the wrong hobby. Perhaps there is a Nit Pickers group online you could join.

6. fsae0607

fsae0607

Yeah if you describe it in pounds of force over the OD & ID of the spring and calculate the area and express it as psi, then yes you can call it spring pressure. Pressure is irrelevant anyways when it comes to engines. You want to know the force when it's installed and when it's compressed by the valvetrain.

I guess it's a misnomer just like the torque thing (saying ft-lb vs. lbf-ft). Valve springs are advertised as having a certain force at a certain installed length.

It's the vernacular that's stuck around for much time in this hobby. Oh well, no use trying to change it now. Oh well! :D

7. fsae0607

fsae0607

Isn't this whole thread about terms that piss us off??? :confused:

8. oj

oj

I know that. Ever hear a couple television guys talking about 'charging' a capacitor up and watching some poor fool get zapped? Not likely, it is always some doofus that picks up a capacitor you got laying around and he'll tell you about getting his buddy real good.
    Leave a capacitor lay out where people can see it, i guarantee a motorhead will pick it up and tell you about zapping somebody. You'll hear it so much you'll have to put it away.
    They'll probably tell you a magneto story or two. I bet the amout of poor unsuspecting bastards that got zapped is in the hundreds of millions - ever meet anybody that admitted to getting zapped? I got magnetos layin about and twice a week i hear about guys' buddies spinning one of them and getting thier dick knocked south. I've yet to meet anybody that got zapped by a magneto or capacitor. A capacitor looses is state (charge) quickly.
    As far as foot pounds or pounds feet, there is a secret language shared by mechanics that communicates to other mechanics, like on a phone one might say 'two dot two fifty' communicating to another mechanic that it is 2.250. The guy at the other ends will know exactly who he is talking to and that he knows what he is talking about. If the first guy had said 'two point two fifty' the the guy at the other end would know that he is speaking to an engineer. That is the difference between foot pounds and pounds-foot. Spring force and spring pressure.

9. Shotrod64

Shotrod64
    from Tacoma, WA

200,000 miles all original. But the engine has been rebuilt twice.

Not a phrase or term but a peeve, chics on the hoods and other parts of a car for sale. Is there a bad spot? What is hidden under there? Drives me nuts when i'm looking at a car on ebay or anywhere online for sale. Not looking to buy her. But being female myself might have some to do with it, but i don't want to see a hunky man there either. :)

The AC works, just needs freon or whatever.

10. SloppyEggs

SloppyEggs

"Would make good rat rod or classic" on an add for a shitbox 78 Cordoba or something like that.

11. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Not so much a misused description, but a misleading one... "Has new tires" then as you read through the ad "Tires not included" WTF? Are you bragging then?

12. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

You can thank Ford for that confusion...
    [​IMG]

1982 was the reintroduction of the GT model Mustang. Ford hit it off with the 'Boss is Back' advertising. Albeit a few car salesmen assured potential and new owners that the car did have a 'Boss' engine.

13. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Neat!

Thanks for that Michael!

14. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Along those same lines, I love it when the ad says "$3800 sound system" or "32 inch wheels and low profile tires, cost $6k new", and then says (stereo system will be removed from the car, or will sell with the car for for another $3000", or "wheels and don't come with the car, so bring your own wheels and tires with you if you want to drive it home, or will include wheels and tires for an additional $6k".

Like I'm supposed to reimburse you for the stupid financial decisions you made while building your Bondo'ed '77 Cutlass.

15. ..."Needs minor work"...

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

An awful lot of people are unaware that 'you' can be plural or singular.
    Especially if 'you' are representing the company you work for.

17. Deuces

Deuces

.... And it only came with a 2-bbl carb... :eek:::rolleyes:
    Ford did install a Holley 4-bbl mid year in '83 along with the intro to the T-5 trans... I just got rid of a mid year '83 with T-tops for a grand..

18. odins701

odins701

lol:D

19. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Hey OJ,

Nice to meet you. I have a couple of American Bosch 4 cylinder magnetos. One day I decided to crank one by hand. The spring got tighter and tighter until it suddenly it snap-released and I got a blast that numbed my arm from fingers to shoulder.

I've also been blasted by Techumseh and Briggs & Stratton magnetos.

As for capacitors, there are some pretty good sized caps that are used as starters for electric motors. I know for a fact that they can hold a lot of voltage for a pretty good time period. As for automobile condensors, they only hold a few volts, so yes, they won't shock anybody.

20. power wagon

power wagon

21. ems customer service

ems customer service

saw this on c/l "95% complete just missing motor and trans"

22. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

"Two teens badly injured at drag race"
    Strange, I was at the track all day and nobody wrecked, oh you mean illegal street race.:mad:

"Original Texas car" (or Arizona or New Mexico) but is in, like New York, and has been for the last thirty years.

"12.5 comp, .565 roller cam, two fours, headers, shift kit, yak, yak, yak.....
    "NEVER RACED OR ABUSED" Yeah, BULLSHIT!:rolleyes:

"....my second cousin, who I've never met, has this Mustang, that I've never seen, and it it SO fast that when he starts it, the Earth tilts off its axis, but it's not running right now....."

"What year is your Mustang?" 1965 Dodge Dart GT:confused:

"What year is your Nova?" 1979 Dodge Aspen:eek:

All 350 Chevys are the 375 horsepower versions when they go up for sale.

23. power wagon

power wagon

oh thats a cute jeep when refering to my 53 dodge m 37

24. Ace_ChopShop

Ace_ChopShop

RAT ROD floors everybody!

25. Deuces

Deuces

I have a Mustang like that.... It rattles the windows on both sides of my driveway when it's idling... :):D:)

26. I had a guy tell me this once. He put an ad in saying he was selling a car as "whole for parts". A guy called him asking if the car was a "5 door". He responded questioning "5 door"? The guy said "yeah, your ad said there's a hole for parts".

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think the point of why people get irritated with the spelling,is that every computer made has a built in spell check, it will tell you immediately if you misspell a word. but the person posting won't take the second to fix what is spelled wrong.

28. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

but it has low miles and only had one minor wreck

29. For some reason unknown to me, the computers I use do not have spell-check linked to forum posting. I'm sure there is a way but, its not there automatically.

My phone will auto correct, but not in the title box.

Supposedly there is a spell check on the hamb pages, but its never worked for me the few times I could find it.

30. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you have to enable it, it's there I can't think off the top of my head how, maby one of the computer guys will chime in

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.