Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fenders

Fenders

No they have mustangs but you have to stand on a ladder.

2. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Glad to see the thread is keeping it's motor VS engine debate being brought up every 5 posts, if it gets brought up 5 more times we all win a pony! :D

I'm not sure if it was ever said in this thread (likely) but I will say it again, barns are often dirt floored, filled with shit and hay and moisture and animals, I think I'd rather a car that sat outside.

3. Missed my toes but I can't believe you are going to insult my motor like that. :D So if I go to the store and buy Motor oil it won't work in my internal combustion engine?

I imagine that it had been mentioned but I don't like to hear a cam shaft called a bump stick.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  4. Dealing with that is like dealing with someone who just quit drinking / smoking or just found religion - a real PITA but kinda cute. You want to pat them on the head and say thanks.
    Oblivious individuals must not see the 10,000 things that firmly associate "MOTOR" with combustion.

5. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

How about "steel motor block", two misstatements into the same sentence.

6. DrJ

DrJ

That's so silly. Everyone knows the engine is in front and the caboose is in the back of the train!

It's General Motors and Ford Motors and Harley Davidson Motorcycles, not Enginecycles and General Engines and Ford Engines.

Just look it up using your computer's Search Engine!

7. sport fury

sport fury

using the the word "weight" when refering to engine oil. no such term for rating viscosity.

8. I thought it was how long you had to WAIT for the funnel to empty a quart.

Perhaps you should correct the oil companies on their oversight.
    Might get you a life time supply of oil, worth a shot right.

On another note.
    Chemistry, the use of " mole" to quantify. Drove me Fucking nuts, I tried to make them change it but it didnt get me anywhere.

When you hear sparkplug what do you see in your mind, a spark plug. When you hear mole what do you see, a fuzzy blind rodent right ? Nope you better see a group of molecular formations.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  9. People that think every Holley carburetor is a "Double pumper" or even worse, a "Double pump"

10. imanut

imanut

Years ago i called on an ad for a Buick Skylark for sale. I asked the guy if it was a two door or a four door. He said "I'm looking at it out the window right now, it's a two door".... I got the address and drove down to check the car out. Sure enough, it had two doors....two on the left and two on the right.

11. Tommy454

Tommy454

Tell that to the Ford Motor Company;)

12. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

And how funny that right before and after your comment it came up again... we're so close to getting that pony! :D

Now if'n you'll excuse me, I have to put some gas hoses on my engine cycle that was only ever ridden by a little old lady to church on Sundays, it has original mileage you know, it just needs restored a little bit to make it cherry. (I seen one on Barret Jackson go for big money once)

13. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

The term "rat rod". Its surprising the amount of people that don't know the difference between a rat rod and a traditional hot rod.

14. jakdupkustoms

jakdupkustoms

Run on sentences. With misspelled words. I cut and pasted this from craigslist.

iam selling my chevy truck is 76 is fix up for sand drags racing has a 406 motor with heads are 327 and more up grade parts on the motor has a3500 turvine and chip trassmision is all original inside has roll cage ,
    mud terrain tires brand new and aluminium wheels has husler shifter this truck has alot of power has msd runs strong and well maiten if you need more inf of this truck please call

15. There has been a concerted effort to dumb people down for about 50 years now, glad to see it is working ^^^^^^ :eek:

16. While you are at it give them a form talking to about engine oil versus motor oil.

Damn 31,
    Where were you when I was struggling though chemistry the last time. If I had known mole stood for molecular structure it would have made a little more sense to me.

So while we are on one term verses another the old man always refered to the lower end of the engine as a crank case, on as motor cycle it makes perfect sense to me as the crank case is seperate from the cylinders in most instances, but on a standard automobile engine it has always been a block to me. I understood him and he understood me but it can be confusing.

Can one fo you experts clarify this for me?

Even on the HAMB and I get called a "hater" for trying to clarify it to them.

I am truley sorry to those who I may have offended when you pointed out to you that your crate is a junker and not a traditional jalopy. :rolleyes:

17. el shad

el shad

I call bull shit!

18. And you would be correct sir and bull shit is a term that has never been misunderstood. Unless of course you are breeding bramas, my wife never found out about that. :D

19. I find it amazing that we can make it thru the day let alone life with all of this trivial stuff that seems to be so infinitely annoying. If we could find the inverse of that, the trivial stuff that keeps us focused, driven, and empowered - well then we'd be unstoppable.

The "Captain Obvious" in me says the enclosure of the crankshaft is a crankcase.
    No relevance on if cylinders are removable or not because when assembled and functional the cylinders are most certainly attached.

20. Before winning, I would just like to confirm a few things.

First, is it one collective pony for all HAMB users to share? Or is it restricted to Motor vs. Engine debaters?
    Second, will the pony be similar to the one in your avatar?
    Third, if the pony will in fact be similar, does it like grapes? I only ask because I noted that the pony does not like raisins. I also do not like raisins. However, I like grapes, and I would like to be able to share grapes with the pony during my allotted pony time.

Thank you for your attention to these very important matters.

21. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I'm just annoyed all the time, does that count for anything?

22. Now you sound like the Ol' Man. He never got bothered when I called an engine block an engine block though. As I recall there were two things that bothered him more than anything else, one was when I would ask him what dual overhead cams were and what made them better (it was my go to question when I was little to change the subject when he was really angry) and the other was to use the wrong tool for the job.

Now on the subject of wrong tool for the job he had a cresent wrench in his tool box, I don't know if it had any mechanical use what so ever but it was his go to tool when I was using the wrong tool and he was a damned good shot. He actually had an 18" cresent wrench (I own it now) that he never used. I saw it come out of his tool chest one time and ran out of the shop. It turned out that there was a leaking fitting on the urinal and he was going to tighten it up. Whew got lucky that time.

None of that has a damned thing to do with the thread but I wanted to say that. :D

23. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Not knocking the use of it, why folks use it, the great results folks get, bla ,bla ,bla but this stuff raises a smile or more the description folks give it makes me chuckle to myself.

[​IMG]

Wally World hobby shop glitter being called flake. Might make the glitter job sound cooler but flake it ain't :p

Right off to rechrome my bumpers, well as soon as the can warms up:D

24. Right on friend.

But on the other hand who really wants a cold chrome job. :D

25. cheapracer

cheapracer
    from China

Did you mean a "Shifter"... :p

26. Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by CurbFeeler [​IMG]
    ... that a crescent wrench was a brand name for an adjustable wrench.}

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The ones in the tool box that I have eluded to are Cresent brand.

27. I wonder how hard it is to elude a Crescent wrench?:p
    e·lude/i&#712;lo&#862;od/

<table class="ts"><tbody><tr><td style="padding-bottom:5px;padding-top:5px;color:#666" valign="top" width="80px">Verb:</td><td style="padding-bottom:5px;padding-top:5px" valign="top"><table class="ts"><tbody><tr><td>
    • Evade or escape from (a danger, enemy, or pursuer), typically in a skillful or cunning way: "he managed to elude his pursuer"
    </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

28. That all depends on who's throwing it.
    I gather Beaner's old man was a pretty good shot.

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I find myself eluding from 'crescent wrenches' when I posess more favorable esteems.

30. Framewelder

Framewelder

ALL THE HARD WORK IS DONE!! It's all hard work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.