Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You obviously work in the getto!

You probably also hear Buick Duce and a Quarter and Caddalak Bro Ham!

2. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I like traditional and all the others included........I just don't like how some of you treat people that don't know how to do certain things or ones that are new to the sport....YOU were a ROOKIE once yourself. you weren't born knowing everything about cars and what you call certain ones..............just have a little patience and remember that...not everyone can afford a Traditional car for their first one...a lot of people don't realize a nice traditional car could be worth 50-75k.....or that some are 1500 cars.....give them a brake....I know where what site I'm on.

3. Jeff J

Jeff J

Excellant condition !!:confused: But doesn't run !!:rolleyes: Explain :eek:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  4. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

i have been browsing ads for a project car(old dodge preferred) and the descriptions i see are every bit of this thread.
    "very nice,needs interior,driveline,bodywork and windows."then throw in a ridiculous price to boot.
    and people that list OBO and wont drop a penny.

5. Cadillacjerk

Cadillacjerk

hahaha I'm caught...regarding the picture
    "battleship"....I raised in Ontario and never heard the term till I was out here (some 30 years now) but I venture you're right, it was from an Ontario clown I met here

the other terms for rear ends that drive me (pun intended): pumpkin or banjo housing...

I work for a large semi truck wrecker (1900 plus rigs) you should hear the weird lingo that gets thrown around in the 300 calls a day we take in on average a day..I guess every profession has nicknames for whatever application

6. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

My dads from Ontario and I used to hear him say it when I was a child.

I drove tow truck for a few different companies, I agree, some of the lingo I heard could get confusing at times!

As for Banjo, that is normally (as far as I know) 46 and older Ford differentials... I'm guilty of saying pumpkin when referring to the 9 inch Ford gear set... :rolleyes:

7. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

What about rods with an early 60s Jaguar rear end

8. amx180mph

amx180mph

I like the ad with a picture from an old sales brochure and it saying not picture of actual car.

9. Master of None

Master of None

Lately on ebay it seems there is a lot of "open" auctions that if you read the written description, the owner sates I will only accept $XXXXX amount. So what the point of putting a car on a no reserve auction site?

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Easy to use cell phone.......................no a framing hammer is "Easy to Use" want a demonstration?

11. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

How about when they advertise a Ford as a "Numbers matching" car? No such thing!!!

12. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

The phrase "per se"! It irks me to no end when I see it spelled out as "per say", or "persay". Get it right. It's Latin. It means "as such".

13. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

prolly instead of probably. are people really to lazy to spell it right, or just that stupid?

14. Yes. Both of those traits generally run together and are not mutually exclusive.

That also would be "spelled correctly" and not "spelled right". If you are going to get upset about about others, you might as well be perfect about it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  15. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I thought this thread was supposed to be about cars?

16. haychrishay

haychrishay

Just remember that we are coming to that time of year when people go to famous auctions to pay for two.... Or three, but only get one. And we get to listen to the dim witted announcers misdescribe the cars !

17. Fenders

Fenders

Unless it's a Model A, then they mean the engine number matches the frame number.

18. vinnymac44

vinnymac44
    from W. Oregon

Damn, while he was bitchin about somebody else the "about" button stuck!

19. Well, while we're at it, it's "too" lazy;)

How about "rear windshield" or "front grille"?

20. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

I have often wondered how many Corvettes were made as to the cars for sale that claim to have" Corvette motors" them?? And they have the valve covers on them to prove it??

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  21. afaulk

afaulk

I've heard several times over the past few years about a "front quarter panel". I always have to ask --- "is that what i always thought was a fender"? WTF, over

22. afaulk

afaulk

oh yeah, like he said "would make a great rat rod" means the seller believes the POS is too FN rough to ever possible make nice again. By the way there are no really great "Rat Rods" or they would not be called "rats". Q. Ever hear somebody say "wow thats a great looking Rat? A. no

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I use prolly quite a bit. I prolly will continue to do so. I use it cuz I think it's funny. while I am a card carrying member of the spelling police, I chose not to join the slang police or grammer police.

saying Model A 5 window makes you look more stupider than saying prolly.:rolleyes:

24. delaware1930

delaware1930
    from Delaware

Went and looked at a charger that has a " LITTLE RUST". The bad part was that you could have drove a truck threw the side of it and not hit a thing! What a piece of shit.

25. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

Ive had my new project for a few weeks now. Its a 56 Buick in primer and has mexican blankets over the seats because the interior needs to be redone. I have heard several people call it a rat rod and It makes my blood boil. My car doesn't have a damn wooden pirate ship steering wheel. it's not rusty as all hell, and its not made from random shit i picked out of the trash. Just because it needs some work doesn't mean its a rat rod.

26. U-235

U-235

"90% restored....needs paint"

27. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Haha, Ray you are spoiled. I sometimes use those terms on certain parts that tend to rust where dirt gets trapped. I find pretty good tin here but nothing like that nice desert stuff you get.

I know this is a little off the topic but I do watch pickers, even though they annoy the crap out of me, but one thing the skinney dude always says is "Voteswagon" instead of volkswagon. You'd think as much as he loves them he would learn to pronounce it.

28. Rare, needs finishing, ready for paint!-MIKE:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

29. Fenders

Fenders

Model A 5 window COUPE is stupid.... but wouldn't a "Model A 5 window" be a tudor? :D

30. Chebby is slang for Chebrolet in Tagalog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.