Register now to get rid of these ads!

Missouri registration question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by socalmerc, Feb 20, 2013.

1. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

anybody in Missouri buy a out of state car and have problems registering it? i sold my 53 willys from California to a guy in Missouri. all i had a was a bill of sale for it and he asked me if i could get him a title in California and he would pay me for it, cause its to hard in Missouri to get one. well i did it cost $300 to do it. i told him to pay me $200 and i would cover the other $100 since i hired a private company to do it for me. I got the title in my name and i had to wait for it to come in the mail by that time he had the willys shipped to him already. i signed everything on the title to release all interest and to sign it over to him all he had to do was fill his part out. now he calls me saying that at his dmv is saying its in another persons name as last owner, which is bull cause California wouldn't of given me a title then. and now he wants me to sign and notarize a bill of sale for him that his dmv wants it.
    i just want to know is this standard requirements or is he trying to pull a fast one on me or his dmv

2. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

Sometimes it depends on which license office a person goes to, or even the mood of the clerk waiting on them. I have had them tell me this or that was wrong bla-bla-bla, and then I take it to another office and badabing everything is fine.If you gave the man a title which had your name on it,(which it should) and on the back you signed it over to him, that should't be a problem.I have never had them ask me for a bill of sale, but then there is always a first time. One thing Missouri does require on out of state purchases is and ID-OD done by a licensed inspection station, but thats not your problem.Is it that big of a deal to give him a bill of sale? You said you did in the beginning, what happened to that one?

3. Give the bill of sale,that seems minimal to me.
    As mentioned Missouri requires an ID /OD which will in turn mean your car you sold must have a title signed by you, that matches the numbers on the frame/body correctly.....
    a point that you should consider is this- Im Missouri you cannot sell a car without providing the title at time of sale.
    If he cannot get legal title thru what you have given him, he actually has a means to then get out of the sale/purchase.....
    that is the law here.

4. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

bill of sale could be for sales tax purposes---put down the facts of the sale and don't sweat it...

5. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

is it a big deal to give him a bill of sale? no! is it a waste of my time and $4.30 a gallon of gas to go get it notarized yes i in my first bill of sale it clearly states in it he is responsible for finding out and taking care of all fees and paper work to register it in his state. i just wanted to make sure this was a legit request from your guys state now you guys have answered it so since i never had anything notarized i got to find out where the hell you get that done. thanks for the help

6. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

The bill of sale is a new law that was enacted in the fall of 2011, the dmv does not believe people on what they pay for a vehicle so they now require the bill of sale. Its phony but has to be done so give the Mo. guy a break, its not his idea. I've learned to work that out ahead of time with the out of state people who I buy cars from. good luck

7. It can't be any more trouble than taking the car back.........
    about any bank,financial institution, or land title place does notary work
    do whats right and just take care of it,my god he bought the car and paid didnt he?.

8. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

it's funny it really does matter who you get at the dmv. a neighbor of mine died and his son didn't want his truck. the next guy that rents it and moves in is deaf. the son sends him a letter saying he can have the truck. neiter one of them have the title or anything and the son doesn't want to mess with probate. the guy goes down to the dmv with the letter many times trying to get a title to the truck. they finally get so tired of trying to comunicate with him they give him a title! i couldn't believe it.