Register now to get rid of these ads!

Missouri rear license plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by d2_willys, Apr 5, 2009.

1. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

During my run to Kansas City swap meet, I noticed some vehicles have something other than a valid plate on the rear of the vehicles. They did have a front valid plate.

Does Missouri only require a front plate? Seems pretty strange.:eek:

2. kratebike

kratebike

Beyond Local 18000 pound trucks only need a front plate because, ideally, they would be pulling a trailer, or a rear plate would become too dirty to read on a dump truck.

3. Most states with a two-tag rule will allow "apportioned" vehicles to run a front tag only, since the rear would normally be obscured by a trailer or dirt. The single tag states are the same way - generally, you'll see that one tag up front on a commercial truck, apportioned tag, and the like.

Yes, I'm sure that there are exceptions.

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

So a pickup could do this without having any issues from the law?:cool:

5. No, a pickup can't get away with it.

You could try it. and then post back with the results!

6. gonmad

gonmad

Yes a pickup can, if it is tagged over 18,000. My f250 is.

7. If your pickup is tagged commercially and with an "apportioned" registration/tag, you can. For regular pickup use, no way.

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

The one's I saw yesterday could have been F250 or Chevy 2500, but maybe not. Hmmm, guess Missoo is kinda easy going on those good ol' boys.

9. kratebike

kratebike

I see 3/4 Ton trucks running BL 18's all the time. You only run the front plate. It's completely legal in Missouri.

10. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

hahaha i have only ran a front plate for years on my 64 c20 wrecker. it's not titled over 18000.

11. jacoviii

jacoviii

ya i know the good old MO will pull you over in a hart beat for no front plate
    car or truck

12. BinderRod

BinderRod

If you run an old plate of the same year like a 1939 what happens then? I have a legal 1939 rear plate with no front plate? Anyone ever been stopped for this? Thanks Keith

13. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Yes, BL 18000 on an F250 is completely cool. Never been stopped in any state for that. Although, MO cops will stop you "just to check".

And no, we don't have the "Commercial" deal that OK seems to have. Just based on whatever weight plate you feel like paying for. The 18k's are like $75 a year I think.