Register now to get rid of these ads!

Missouri DMV question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51V8, Sep 9, 2007.

  1. 51V8
    Joined: Sep 8, 2007
    Posts: 25


    sorry if this is the wrong section but from reading on several sites, including the mo dor site, tagging a vehicle as a historic vehicle does not require an inspection, is this correct at all?
  2. MORodder
    Joined: Jul 5, 2005
    Posts: 254


    When tagging mine as a historic vehicle, I have never had to have an inspection.
  3. Kevin Lee
    Joined: Nov 12, 2001
    Posts: 7,423

    Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

    Believe you aready have to be tagged to make the swap. (with no inspection) Did that make sense?

    So... pretty sure if you are getting a car tagged for the first time you wil need an inspection historic or not.
  4. If the vehicle is already titled in Missouri, there is no need for a motor vehicle inspection. If the vehicle is brought from out of state and has the appropriate paperwork, you just need to have a law enforcement officer or licensed vehicle inspector do an id/od inspection on id. They basically verify the vehicle isn't stolen and how many miles are on the odometer. You can always call the Missouri DMV at (573)751-4509 or email the DMV at Good luck, Chip.

  5. time plate too
  6. Cops won't do it anymore:rolleyes:
  7. Fraz
    Joined: Mar 3, 2001
    Posts: 1,818

    from Dixon, MO

    Well, unless shit's changed since 2001, they should still do it. Local HiPo did the Byooik right before I bought it, the other guy had a KY license, they came out took a look, he got a MO title bout 2 weeks later and the next day I bought the car.
  8. They sure do here. A call for this is a break for most of them.
  9. Stl county cops told me they don't do it anymore.
  10. An ID-OD can be obtained from any MO STATE INSPECTION only involves the verification of the serial number and odometer reading. It has nothing to do wit equiptment nor vehicle condition.
    The historic vehicle designation plates now require that a log of mileage driven be kept...Altho I do not know anyone who does that.
  11. They probably have real criminals to deal with rather than dealing with "law abiding" citizens such as ourselves.
  12. Lol....have you ever been to SouthStl county:rolleyes:
  13. atch
    Joined: Sep 3, 2002
    Posts: 4,651



    1. already titled in your name and in MO - just fill out the historic license form (get the form at the local DMV) and send it to jeff city; your plates will arrive by mail in a month or two. no inspection now or ever.

    2. already titled in MO but not in your name - go to local DMV and get the title transfered to your name. while you're there ask for the historic license form and send it to jeff city as above. no inspection now or ever.

    3. titled in another state and not in your name - get a VIN inspection. if the car runs you can take it to any inspection station or any police/highway patrol office for the inspection. if the car doesn't run call the local constabulary or highway patrol office and ask that they send someone to where the car is (you'll have to be there and the meeting with them will be at their convenience) to perform the VIN inspection. last time i had one done the VIN inspection at an inspection station cost the same as a safety inspection; the cops don't charge. take the VIN inspection along with everything else required to the local DMV office and get the car retitled in your name. while you're there ask for the historic license form and send it to jeff city as above. no regular/yearly vehicle safety inspection now or ever.
  14. Orange54
    Joined: Mar 6, 2004
    Posts: 795

    from Missouri

    I did both my 68 plymouth and 54 truck a few years ago.

    Proof of insurance.

    Copy of paid tax receipt.

    Went to the Truman Building in Jefferson City and showed them the above with the MO title and walked out with plates.
  15. You can go to the Truman Building and get it done when you get your title. Just talk to Diane, her husband is a car guy and she is great. I don't know the others there that well.
  16. Dude I don't know anything but if it wasn't for this post I *totally* would have forgotten to pay my post Drags MO speeding ticket on time. Sheeet! Thanks.

    (My MO speeding ticket that I got under the rental insurance of my friend from NY with my MA license even though I live in IL)
  17. 51V8
    Joined: Sep 8, 2007
    Posts: 25


    thanks for the info guys that helped me as well as my dad, hes got a 58 chevy delray and its from ks. so he would need a number inspection and thats it?

    it has a crack in the windshield but that would still pass so he can get tagged right?

    thanks alot yall.
  18. that sounds simple enough...:eek: :p
  19. 1949P17BC
    Joined: Aug 2, 2007
    Posts: 35

    from Ballwin MO

    Proof of insurance and personal property tax reciept. I had a title but it was signed and left open for 24 years. Went to a smaller town outside of St. Louis, they seemed to be much more forgiving. Advice I was given b the DMV, pay the fine, $250.00 get it inspected, insured, once it was on my personnal property tax reciept go for historical platessss. FWIW
  20. BinderRod
    Joined: Jul 9, 2006
    Posts: 1,736


    I just put historic plates on mine last month. I never changed the title from when I bought it in 2000 witch would have been a 250.00 penalty. I was talking to a buddy that has a car lot and he said to bring my title to him. He ran it through his lot and no penalty. I paid 10.00 for a transfer, Paid another 26.00 for the plates. All you need is proof of insurance and paid tax reciept. No inspections now or ever. As long as you are on the way to a car show, cruise, repair shop or anything related to repairs they do not count those miles against you. ( Like I am ever going to keep a log)
  21. atch
    Joined: Sep 3, 2002
    Posts: 4,651


    no safety inspection ever. and even in a safety inspection if the crack is not in the "line of vision" it'll still pass.

    keep a log with you. i'm not sure what they can do to you for having an empty log, but they can give you a fine ($100 as i recall) for not having a log in the vehicle. my log, with no entries, is the bottom item in clarence's glove compartment. i have no odometer, so i really don't know how i'd fill the thing out anyway. besides, everywhere i go is a car show; right?

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.