Register now to get rid of these ads!

Missouri DMV probs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StLouisSled, Dec 4, 2011.

1. StLouisSled

StLouisSled

Has anyone else had any problems with the Missouri DMV?
    I bought a 58 Chevy that didnt have a title but got a notarized state bill of sale from the seller. I went into the DMV office trying to get information on titling and the a$%hole basically told me without an original title I am S.O.L.
    Anyone else dealt with Missouri on issuing a title for a car without an original to start?

2. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

StLouisSled,

Did the seller have the car titled in his name? If not, then you'll probably have to locate the last titled owner of the car. Obtain a notarized "Affidavit of Lost Title" or whatever they call it in Missouri, and if he/she is willing, get a bill of sale and release of interest from him/her.

My guess is that your seller never transferred the title, so his bill of sale is useless. This seems to be happening more and more lately and drives me crazy. I will not buy a car unless the seller has a title with his name on it. If he doesn't have a title, make HIM get one before you buy. It was HIS legal obligation when he purchased the car in the first place

As far as anyone else having problems with Missouri DMV, I can guarantee others have had problems. It comes with bureacracy and the perverse pleasure bureaucrats get from screwing up someone's day.

Good luck,

Mike

3. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

In Missouri for a vehicle 25 years or older, get a HISTORICAL VEHICLE application, fill it out, have it notorized(usualy funeral homes and some banks providenotory service at no charge) send it or take it to the address on the title along with the fee( useta be $25.50) and in about two weeks or so, you will have your title and plate.
    The info you will recieve states you are allowed 1000 miles per year for pleasure driving, but unspecified miles for parades, exibition, and mechanics or repair station.
    I have done this for three vehicles and have had no problems.
    On my 62, I drove it to Desmoines, Biloxii, Miss, And to Pueblo,Colorado.
    These were events where I entered shows.The shows constitute exhibition.
    No matter wher you drive your car, someone asks about it and wants to look it over, This constitutes an exhibition.
    Cruise nights, just two or three of you driving for coffee or any other excuse constitutes an exhibition.
    When you need parts for any of your vehicles, drive the Historic vehicle. That constitutes going for repairs.
    Just buying a can of WD40 or masking tpe, a light bulb, or fuse.

Get my drift?

Been there, done that and have the plates from all I sold hanging on the wall.

MoonLoon likes this.
  4. 41fastback

41fastback

Here in NY, we have smaller DMV offices scattered in areas away from the PIA large cities. They are usually more helpful and easier to deal with.

5. Jims got one avenue for ya there with that Historic plate direction. Not sure it can always be done without a =title number= nowadays here in Missouri tho.....
    This can work for you tho-
    go before a County Judge and he can issue a document stating the car is in your posession for a length of time[fudged amt]ha...
    his documents then presented at the liscence bureau will net a title...
    also a sherriff can help on abandoned title cases....

6. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I have had a bunch of problems with Mo DMV. I tried getting historic plates on one of my past vehicles, but they said they couldn't do anything without an original title. I ended up going through broadway title for that car. On another car with the same issues, I had my buddy in Kansas title it there (because you only need a bill of sale) then he sold the car to me with a clear title.

7. FYI='49 and older on the Kansas antique titles.....

8. StLouisSled

StLouisSled

Thanks for the info.
    I wish these states would get real with these old cars. I mean how many old cars were parked due to repair issues and just sat for decades...then the original owner dies or something. Cars change hands a few times and hooking up with the original title is now impossible...so are these cars just supposed to be forgotten about forever.
    I know other states have worked out ways to fix this...I just don't get why some states still refuse to deal with it...I mean going to the DMV for anything in Missouri is like pulling teeth...and the schmoes working in there act like they are God or something. I don't get it.