Register now to get rid of these ads!

mission impossible,,,302 in a model a

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by draggler, Apr 30, 2010.

1. draggler

draggler

My apologies for the slight mislead! My question is due to budget and old likes for ford 302 . in a 30 model a coupe ,and my gola is a 50's style build .
    So here in lies the issue , its my assumption and studies thus far that seeing as how they did not make the 302 in the 50's how could a 302 work in a strivence of a 50's build! Its my belief it will enter into the realm of ratrodum ,which is not my goal ! But due to current funds a 302 does fit ,and is still ford in a ford. I would greatly appreciate all responses in the matter . Good ,,Bad,, bashed moron know it flat out wont work responses! Thanks To any comments ! Oh i might add so far with no real pics the accumulation of parts might venture mor into the realm of the 60's ,,T-5 trans as well ,,Ok im done ...Thanks again C.

2. -Brent-

-Brent-

This is a simple one... don't go with the 302 if it doesn't fit your build. Save a little longer and get a late 40's early 50's engine. I see later (running) flatty's go for $500-$700 often.

3. Nothing about putting a 320 into a Model A makes it a dreaded rat rod just from that. It's true that the small block Ford didn't come out until 1962 so if you are trying to be absolutely 1950's period correct, it won't work. If you want a 50's flavor car that was updated in 62 with a new motor, it works.
    I say go for it and let the self righteous traditional 50's police be damned

4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

run a hood. no one will know.

or set it up with rare early speed parts. you will be the envy of all your friends.

build what you can with what you got and don't worry about being "correct"

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like hotroddon's idea and make it look like a 260 and it will be cool..........

7. hotrodnewby

hotrodnewby

I'm in the same boat as you! I'm going to use the 302 because that's what I have. Besides, the rat crowd would just drop a junkyard 350 in it. Not that there's any thing wrong with that, if you're into that kind of thing! It's your car, build it the way you want.

8. draggler

draggler

Damn .thanks for quick responses! THe full hood is definately allready figured in . Not to hide my aforementioned shame if you will, But that to me is more traditional as well as try and alleviate hard rain issues .
    Due to my main goal ,,,Trying to set her up for a great many driving conditions ,,allready have a jeep /trail only rig ,,and Do not desire another trailer queen,,or weather issues like riding the bike around ! Thanks again Guys ,this site continues to feel more home than any other i have ever been on before ! C.

9. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

ive seen some 302's in hot rods and they can go 1 of 2 ways. 1) use mickey thompson aluminum valve covers, HEI and edelbrock 4bbl to look like a total rat rodder or set it up basically stock appearing and look pretty decent.

i guess it all has to do with the context of your entire build as to weather or not it will "fit" and look right. i love a ford in a ford but those 302's can look pretty goofy!!

10. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

If a 302 does not fit in your budget,good luck building your car.

11. mac762

mac762

He said, due to his budget he would be using a 302. I don't see a problem with it.
    I don't have a problem with the small Chevy either. It would actually fit the "timeframe" he's shooting for. Too bad so many people bad mouth them guys won't run them. More for me I guess. :D

12. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

I was in a simillar position to you when I started my build('29 rpu).I love the late '40's-early fifties look but couldn't afford to go 100% authentic so,I used what I had.289 SBF and T10 trans,TCI frame.I altered the frame by adding stock rear cross member and F100 shocks etc,and hid the motor with a full hood.Might not be 'correct' but I think it has a lot of the character I was looking for.Go for it!
    Mark.

13. Terry

Terry

I'm not saying don't do it, but take some measurements first.

14. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Good point,quite a tight fit.I don't have much of the fire wall left!:D

15. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

The SBF became available in 1961 (Fall new model release for the 1962 models). Most hot rods built in that time frame were still being built in the Fifties style. Remember, 1961 is the first year of the Sixties. (1960 was still the decade of the Fifties.) Just tell folks you're building to the 1961 timeframe, if anybody asks about the engine. Use 260 style valve covers and a generator, and you'll be good to go!

16. brad chevy

brad chevy

Heck use the 302 you might be the only person in town not running a smallblock Chevy.just don"t see to many Ford on Ford anywhere.just make sure its a carb engine none of the new electronic fuel injected crap.and no fellows Iain"t downing Chevys at all .Have 53 with 400 sb and 55 Ford with 351.

17. Bull

Bull

My A Tudor with a 302:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not too shabby with a full hood eh? Only the wheel & tire set-up kept it from appearing more traditional.

18. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

"Good point,quite a tight fit.I don't have much of the fire wall left!"

It will work fine but be aware (which you apparently are already) that if you use swing pedals there may be a left valve cover clearance issue.

19. zzford

zzford

Hey Bull, very nice "A". I don't believe that a car has to have every single detail to be "traditional". As I see it, if it's a hot rod with a dropped front axle, conventional rear end (no IRS), and no billet wheels, then it's traditional.

20. I have built a 31 Tudor and a 29 RPU both with small block Fords. They fit fine with a modified firewall.

21. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

My dad bought his model A in '62. After briefly running a flathead, he soon replaced it with a 260 new right from Ford. As the SBF evolved, so did his. It still ran the generator, but he put in a 271 hp 289 solid lifter cam and a dual quad intake, and had a T-10 behind it. Full fendered, unchopped, craiger SS and skinny whitewalls. I guess it would be more '60s styled today because it was, but still traditional I think.

22. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Yeah,I'm using under-floor mounted pedals,Pete.Still not much room,good job I've got short legs!:D

23. draggler

draggler

Yeah carbed ,and 60's style 302 so far is the best ive come up with so far . What a pisser ive been trying for 45 min to upload some of my latest pics .Currently im still trying to graft/blend the roof and window sections on where someone scalped her in her past! Literally someone left her for dead ! Hence her name ! Man i dont feel near as alone now. Guys thanks for the support ! That sedan is really sharp 2.

24. 29AV8

29AV8

that 302 my friend is way better than any bowtie. to hell with everyone else.
    it is your car do what ya want...

25. 41 Dave

41 Dave

I agree with Mark H. Use what you have or what you can afford. In my case I lucked into a unique Ford Marine Y Block ! It set the whole theme for my "A" Coupe. Looking forward to see a thread as you build your rod.

26. [​IMG]this is in my 30 coupe

27. aircoup

aircoup

nothing wrong with a 302 at all i run one owned em for the last25years or so have three of em now easy to fix and work on too get parts just about everywhere

28. ModelEh1931

ModelEh1931

I have a 302 in my car, that's what I wanted... my favorite engine.....all ford drive line....that's what I like... ford in a ford....I have nostalgic parts to dress it up...vintage edelbrock intake and valve covers...and make it look like a 260 or early 289... I will take a small block ford over a small chevy any day.

29. 63Compact

63Compact

I run a SBF in my 32 and will be running one in my A as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. RDR

RDR

Dang....where you guys finding those 3-2 302 manifolds??? guess things have changed in the last 10 years?? or maybe it's just Australia....