Register now to get rid of these ads!

Missing the Signal...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rust Monkey, May 4, 2009.

1. Rust Monkey

Rust Monkey

I've got an electrical issue on my '49 Chieftan that's got me stumped, and I'm looking for ideas. The left front and both rear signal lights have quit working as well as the brake lights. Parking lights, tail lights, and right front signal still work. Spent yesterday trouble shooting, replaced the flasher, installed a new brake light switch, and have confirmed voltage across the turn signal switch.

Checked the voltage at the bulb sockets and there is just enough voltage to make my test light glow, but it doesn't flash. I'm confident the grounds are good at the lights since the parking/tail lights work well. And I don't think it's a dead ground because it's not blowing fuses.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the issue? It's a stock six volt negative ground system. The trouble started after I had to jump start the car with 12v after the generator died on the way the work on morning.

Thanks.

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Sounds like part of the turn signal switch is bad. The parking lights have nothing to do with the turn signal switch as does the tailights. The front turn signals use a different set of switch poles then does the rear stop/turn signals. My guess is that the switch is going bad. The flasher will make both front and rear signals flash, unless the rear signals are not working, causing the load on the flasher unit to be less than needed to flash. Check your turn signal switch by bypassing the switch and putting the hot 6V directly onto each rear stop/turn signal wire and see if the bulbs light correctly, if so the switch is going bad.

3. captainflight

captainflight

I agree with d2 willys. Sounds like a switch problem.