Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Miss the Drive-In Theaters ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Mc, Jul 27, 2012.

1. 56FRLN

56FRLN

Couple of drive-in pics I've always liked. I've seen the 1 with the locomotive done as a large framed picture and it is very nice. I think the only 1 left in the St. Louis area is the Skyview across the river in Illinois.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  2. Who watched the movies?,,they were not called "Passion Pit's" for nothing!:D HRP

3. DrJ

DrJ

Stereo movie sound, (not everyone had a stereo FM in their car even when the theater did start broadcasting it that way)
    and VCR's killed the drive in, and most all the reasons to go to one.

4. vettes2

vettes2
    from OKC, OK

[​IMG]The Autoscope Drive-In in Albuquerque, New Mexico opened in 1960's with 260 screens!!!!!! This theater was designed to have a rear projection screen for each car. One central projector conveyed the image to all the screens at one time, using a series of mirrors. Each screen was 3 by 5 feet. By 1963 there were 2 in Albuquerque. A 120 screen Drive-In like the Autoscope opened in Richland, Washington on May 30, 1973 owned by Lloyd Honey.
    The above were a very different type of drive-ins. Buffalo , MO is where they originated from.

I came across this picture in a 1962 Life Magazine, just a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  5. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I have two hotrods which I'd love to take to the local drive-in but neither has a radio. If I put in a radio I'd have to put on mufflers so that I could hear it.
    maybe I could get them to have a "speaker row" for the HAMB friendly folks...

6. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Looking back, I wonder if there was anyone who grew up in the 50s/60s/70s that never got laid at a drive in movie.. That would be sad..

7. moefuzz

moefuzz

Only about 30 or so times
    Yes I miss drive ins

8. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

The one in Cottage Grove MN will be closing at the end of the season because WAL MART thinks they need another store. http://vimeo.com/28313718:mad:

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I carry a 3.50 little portable radio in my ot driver because the am radio is dead in it.

There is a drive in in the PNW on Whidbey Island selling T shirts and hoodies to raise money to buy a new digital projector so they can stay in business.
    http://www.bluefoxdrivein.com/

10. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Back when I lived in Ohio (about 8 years ago) we used to go to the Melody 49 Drive In Theater. Truly an old-school theater that has been there for as long as I can remember.

Going there in our Model A Tudor was a time warp.

One of the few things I miss from Ohio, drive in theaters are far and few between here in Colorado. They got 'em, but not near us.

[​IMG]

11. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

We have one here in Vegas. "West Winds 5" its called.
    $11 for double features, cruzze in, bring a cooler and some choice drinks ;)

Can't beat it man. I lived here for 3 years before i even knew we had one:eek: I'm 24 and had NEVER been to one in my life before i moved here! Love it!

pop a top, tune the radio in (or boom box for some guys). relax, watch a few flix or take advantage of the window tint and bench seats :cool:
    People do look at ya funny when you come in with open headers however...

12. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

You can also watch the lowered cars get stuck when they try to drive over the ground/parking ramp bump things.
    Wait till the end of the double feature and watch for all the slow cranking cars and dead batteries :D

13. Lil32

Lil32

we have a twin screen one about 20 miles away. a couple of times a year they put on a car show. you have to line up about two in the afternoon if you want to get in. a dance club puts it on so you have "Grease" style dancing. Give away a car trophy or two ,cool nite.

14. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I heard they are reopening the Boulevard Drive In in Allentown PA., I worked there for 25 years before they closed in the early 80s.

15. SChotrodder

SChotrodder

The Big Mo in Monetta SC is still open. They have expanded to three screens. We go several times every summer and the wife and kids love going.

16. Bodger45

Bodger45

Smith's Ranch Drive In 29 Palms Calif.

Attached Files:

17. Yep I go to the one in Jefferson. All the big ones in Milwaukee that I went to as a teenager have been sold land was to valuable for new development and owners caved.

18. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

Sparks,NV. has a four screen.swap meets on the weekends

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  19. Deuces

Deuces

Not really... We have the Ford-Wyoming drive-in here by my house..:D:D:D

20. refried confusion

refried confusion

___________.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  21. T.KITCHEN

T.KITCHEN

My first car was a '52 Hudson 2 door HT that had a wide center rear seat arm rest that I cut the board out so that 2-3 of my buddies could crawl up through the hole from the trunk without getting caught in the back row like everyone else did (boy were we/they dumb). In Dayton, Ohio we went to the Belmont or Skyline (the only Drive-In in the US with a balcony). We all were skinny back then/couldn't fit through that arm reat hole now! Yes we called them "Passion-Pits" or "Finger-Bowls". You could always tell the inexperienced "neckers" (remember "necker-knobs"?)as they laid on the horn at one time or another and didn't have a little metal tab to hold down the door(s) light buttons so that no one could see you get out of the car and "zip-up" or re-fasten a bra (you were REALLY good if you could undo one with one hand)! GREAT MEMORIES!

22. Deuces

Deuces

I always bring a six-pack and a "hot" pizza in the trunk of my car... :D;)

23. T.KITCHEN

T.KITCHEN

24. CANS01

CANS01
    from Illinois

Harvest Moon. Gibson City, Illinois. Took kids to see a movie in June. They loved it.

25. I was stationed on that Island, we called it "The Rock".
    I remember going to the drive-in with a friend. We double dated some local women there. I did the yawn and put my arm around the chick routine and she got upset cause "she wasn't that type of girl". Afterwards, my friend never let me forget that incident, we had a good laugh.

26. robber

robber

Absolutely miss them!:( What a great family activity when we were little.
    Later, as teens, we would sneak several people into the movies in the trunk!:) And, what can I say about taking your girl to the show in your car... you know what I mean:D The Drive-Ins are few and far between and many younger people never got to experience the fun of it. I only know of one within 50 miles of me... back in the day they were plentiful.

27. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

The one I remember here in El Paso,TX was in Ascarate...they made it into a flea market..used to climb on top of my grandpa's econoline lay some blankets and enjoy the movies w some nachos!!!!

28. onlyonthurs62

onlyonthurs62

we had one here in San Antonio but it closed down a few years ago...damn shame cause it was a lot of fun to roll out there

29. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Heading to a local one tommorrow night with the wife, Ted and Savages are playing.

30. Xtreme13

Xtreme13
    from Kentucky

I've been fortunate enough to live in Somerset, Ky with the 27 Twin Drive-in. Many many good memories there. We have the Somernites Cruise on the 4th saturday of every month Spring through fall. So it makes for some great Saturday nights.

Attached Files: